• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 steering pressure relief valve adjustment help!

King

From the pitman arm an airline passes through the frame, into what I am calling a pressure relief valve, please correct me if my terminology is not correct. The valve appears to be stuck open. After removing the lower section I could see t rubber diaphram had a small kink. I have not had any luck with finding this part in the manuals or how to adjust it properly. Please direct me to the proper manual location or any information that you can share.
respectfullyimage.jpg

King

Top half of the valve picimage.jpg
so I shot some lubricant into the top of the valve and that seems to have worked so I at least I can drive it now, but still looking for adjustment procedure.
thank you, in advance

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with gimpyrob, that looks like a regulator. A relief valve shouldn't have an airline going into and out of it.
What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Does the truck turn/ steer fine?

King

Yeah I agree with gimpyrob, that looks like a regulator. A relief valve shouldn't have an airline going into and out of it.
What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Does the truck turn/ steer fine?
I did not drive the truck, the low air alarm is really annoying. The regulator was dumping all of the air pressure through the bottom of the unit, there is an adjustment that I still need to investigate and adjust. The truck is fine now, although it appears to dump more air after making a steering correction.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air pressure regulators on A3 steering have a habit of failing. Mine failed on my A3 shortly after I received it from GL. I found NOS ones on Ebay and bought two for $15.00 each. I installed one, which is very easy, and kept a spare. No problems since. I dismantled the failed unit and found it full of crud. It wasn't dumping air, it simply wasn't supplying any air. You can also adjust the air pressure of the regulator by removing the cap and turning the knob.

peashooter

Yep its just a regulator, the only thing special about it is they have a machined aluminum cap that screws on to cover the adjustment knob. I removed my regulator for a year but then added an 80 psi non adjustable one again to conserve air since im pretty awful at backing up with my m105 trailer (takes a few attempts). To adust it just keep turning it up until you have enough air assist for your liking. It probably needs to be at least 70psi (since it has a safety shutoff valve upstream to turn off the air assist if system pressure is under 60psi. Im sure you can litterally find a regulator that will fit from home depot. Mcmaster carr will have these also.