• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Steering ,What does this hose do?

olewhiskey

What function does this hose do ?This hose comes off the box, can I cut it above the hose tear and reattach it it to the fitting? What is a temporary repair recommendation,duct tape ? Is is a commercial size that I can replace ?

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

It is probably to large a picture. You have to reduce it to 800X600. If you have a picture editor, you can reduce the size, and it will be acceptable. There are limits to the size you can download on this site, otherwise your pic will not come up.
I have the Microsoft Office package and I just use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to reduce size because it is convenient for me. There are a lot of other packages all the different users here use to change the size of the pic for downloading. Most cameras are set to high of resolution to download here. Hope this helps.

edit: OK, I see you managed to get it on there as I was writing. Congrats!

I'll go see if I can get a picture of mine at the same angle for reference now.

Last edited:

3dAngus

It started raining on me as I was trying to take pictures. It looks like it goes up to the upper firewall. I did not have time to open the hood.

I do know there is a shutoff valve on the firewall for power assist. If the lines are crossed, according to the tech manual, and you get a power jerk as you turn left or right. the air line hoses for the power assist are crossed.

We would need additional help for now to see if these are indeed the power assist lines. If they are, iaw TM procedures, be sure to turn off the air at the firewall manual valve prior to performing any maintenance.

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

My guess is, there are two lines inside and the outer sheath you are looking at is a heat shield to protect the air lines. Follow it up and see if it goes to an air valve on the passenger side firewall, if not raining in Winder now.

If your steering is OK and you are not having problems, there should be nothing to worry about.

Worst case, you might have to change an air line or two if my guess holds water. I'm no expert. Just reading TMS here but I don't have a diagram out of it yet.

olewhiskey

Good guess , I think you are right, my steering is good and I can't hear a hiss, I will sleeve it with a new spliced racer hose shield and clamp it down to restore the lost rigidity in the hose. I couldn't imagine a hose that big alone, thats a lot of air space to fill.

Happyland1410

I believe that hose is just to route the air exhaust or maybe water drainage from the control valve. The Y fitting at the bottom is called "TEE-Y,DRAINAGE PIPE" and the hose is called "HOSE,AIR DUCT". This hose was split on our Fire Department's A3 when we got it but the steering has worked fine.

Here are the pages from TM 9-2320-386-24P

Attachments

ApopkaFL

Banned
I believe that hose is just to route the air exhaust or maybe water drainage from the control valve. The Y fitting at the bottom is called "TEE-Y,DRAINAGE PIPE" and the hose is called "HOSE,AIR DUCT". This hose was split on our Fire Department's A3 when we got it but the steering has worked fine.

Happyland1410, You are correct... That is what that hose is used for.

3dAngus

OK, .... but.... what does that mean. ie. water drainage?

It appears it goes right into the cylinder.

I'm sure some others get it, but I am not "Deuce initiated." so to speak.

Can one of you elaborate on exactly what it does, and how?

Inquiring minds....

p.s. Thanks in advance!

Still trying to figure out where the "P" for Park is on the auto transmission.

Last edited:

R Racing

Its the air vent hose so the air can escape from the oppissite side of the piston, when the oppissite side is under pressure. They run it to the air filter so it doesnt get water or dirt down in the piston so it cant damage it.

olewhiskey

OK, .... but.... what does that mean. ie. water drainage?

It appears it goes right into the cylinder.

I'm sure some others get it, but I am not "Deuce initiated." so to speak.

Can one of you elaborate on exactly what it does, and how?

Inquiring minds....

p.s. Thanks in advance!

Still trying to figure out where the "P" for Park is on the auto transmission.
Ok then I will seal it up with racer tape and cover that thing with some flexible plastic sleeve

motomacguyver

This hose is used to direct the exhaust air from the steering circuit back to the engine air intake. If you follow where it goes you will see that it goes directly to the intake track AFTER the air filter. So if this hose is compromised, and you drive in dusty conditions, you’re ENGINE is using DIRTY air.

Mine had the same problem, and I cut it off and reattached it. I am planning on replacing it and rerouting it to a less damage prone area. The only reason I think it is there is because of the possibility of the Exhaust outlet of the steering cylinder ingesting some water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks