• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 stiff brake pedal

Bolkbich

the brake pedal takes alot of effort to push down . its not sticking. the brakes work as they should. its like the air assist isnt helping enough. if you push the pedal down and release it you can hear the air exhausting. all my 5 tons work smooth with little pedal pressure. is there an adjustment on the air assist ?

mktopside

Banned
Put a little bit of air tool oil in the air packs?

I've never driven a 5-ton so I have nothing to compare it to, but remember the A3 has two air packs for the dual circuit brakes so it may just be normal. Mine feels stiff too, but I have nothing to compare it to other than normal hydro brakes.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea come to think of it mine does feel harder to. What kind of air pressure are u able to build. Oiling the air pack is a must and if you can oil from the incomming air line would seem to be the best way just hard to get to the line.

mktopside

Banned
Yea come to think of it mine does feel harder to. What kind of air pressure are u able to build. Oiling the air pack is a must and if you can oil from the incomming air line would seem to be the best way just hard to get to the line.
Mine builds to 120psi. You can't oil from the compressor because the trucks have a Haldex air dryer with a coalescent filter that will grab up all the oil. I need to do mine, so I might crawl under the truck and see if it can be added to the out going line of the dryer. Although I don't just want it to all end up in the tanks and stay there.

CM automotive says not to get oil in the CTIS lines because it'll screw up the wheel valves. But that is the least of my concerns as I'm one more malfunction away from ripping the system off anyways.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your is working. I don't know how much 10 lb of pressure would change things but it would seem to make sence to get as much as you can. Are you at 120lb?

3dAngus

Yeah, what's the deal with this one. Mine is hard to press too. I recovered a M-185 from Robins for a fella down in Florida and his brakes were sweet and the truck would stop on a dime. I mean it. Some of the best and easiest brakes to work with I've ever seen. But my M35A3 is stiff on the pedal, and it would be hard for my wife to drive it under the circumstances, so if you find the solution, please print it here.

What makes it worse is when trailering. I about locked up my brakes on the M1061E1 trailer the first time I drove it, trying to "feel it". Felt it alright. Never happened again, and like always, you just got to get used to things, and every vehicle drives differently, so I probably wouldn't do it again unless "Emergency Stop" is needed to avoid a crash.

I love my M35A3!! Want to make it better. Please post your solution if you have one.

flyxpl

My A3 W/W has a firm pedal also . When I drive my A2 I tend to put myself through the windshield before I even get out of the driveway .

HDN

I'll add my feedback to this ancient thread - my brake pedal is also firm. The shop I've taken it to get it inspected for the past two years has a guy there who had a bobbed A2 - he thought an air pack on the truck needed to be replaced because of the firm brake pedal. I guess he's wrong - the A3s are just that way.

Any other current A3 owners want to chime in?

sue

the brake pedal takes alot of effort to push down . its not sticking. the brakes work as they should. its like the air assist isnt helping enough. if you push the pedal down and release it you can hear the air exhausting. all my 5 tons work smooth with little pedal pressure. is there an adjustment on the air assist ?
We welded a 9”X3” peddle to our foot brake lever.
It’s nice to be at a stop light and have both feet resting on the brake instead of one foot pushing down. And letting others drive your truck it’s a little piece of mind.

HDN

We welded a 9”X3” peddle to our foot brake lever.
It’s nice to be at a stop light and have both feet resting on the brake instead of one foot pushing down. And letting others drive your truck it’s a little piece of mind.
Kinda reminds me of how Fred Flintstone stops his car - both feet to (through?) the floor!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks