• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 super shimmy!

Warren Lovell

Anyone have a shimmy at around 35-40 mph in their M35A3?
Any ideas? The shaking goes right up the steering shaft. Turning the wheels slightly to right and left seems to lessen the issue, or until I either go faster or slow down....

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start with the usual culprits on the frame - check draglink, kingpin etc. for play. Wheel bearing play? Check alignment. Any wear marks on the tires? Front shocks dead?

Front tires could be whacko out of balance. It has happened that there is caked, rubbed-off tire material stuck on the inside of a tire. That would do it...

Maybe someone can check in with a redneck method of tire balancing/balance check. Maybe lift wheel off the ground, spin it by hand, wait until it comes to a standstill and put chalk mark to mark the bottom spot of the tire. Spin again. If the chalk mark is at the bottom again after the wheel stops spinning, you may have an out of balance wheel. Just a thought.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new to the A3 ownership, so maybe this is too basic. My shimmy came from there being no counterweight. The weight was on the spare. When I pulled it off and installed on the offending tire, the shimmy was gone.

Hope that helps.

Warren Lovell

Thanks guys, I will start the check up. Tires look fairly new, shocks look brand new, it has 6200 miles with even tire wear. Other than the shimmy/wobble feel at cetain speeds - she drives nice! Definetly easier than the A2. (threw that comment in their to divide the deuce owners, thus creating a civil war) :lol:

mktopside

Banned
Thanks guys, I will start the check up. Tires look fairly new, shocks look brand new, it has 6200 miles with even tire wear. Other than the shimmy/wobble feel at cetain speeds - she drives nice! Definetly easier than the A2. (threw that comment in their to divide the deuce owners, thus creating a civil war) :lol:
It's the normal out of balance A3 wheel thing.

#1: It'll get better the more you drive it.

#2: Add additional lug nuts to the studs opposite of the CTIS shield to "balance" the wheel.

Between driving it, and messing around with the balance, the vibration is all but gone on mine.

Oh yea, check your bearings and all that good stuff for safety and stuff

flyxpl

Mine was missing a counterweight in the rear and had the shake , it got better after I added the counterweight but still has some shimmy at the 48 - 50 mph range . If I take it to 55 it smooths out but then I am turning the engine a little fast . I have a set of hemmit rims and 395 tires that I am hoping will cure the problem .
You could rotate the front tires to the back and see if it gets better . The fronts will wear different then the back and should probally be rotated often .

jdoktor83

My A3 had a shimmy as well when I picked it up from gl. I checked to see if the wheel weights were on the tires and they all were. So I looked at it alittle longer and the wheel weight wasn't on the right stud opposite of the ctis cover. When I got home I moved it back one stud and walla smooth as a 43" tire can be. Oh and A2 owners are just jealous of the A3's.

Dustyh

We took all the CTIS stuff and counter weights off our truck and that solved our problem. We are also running 70 psi in our tires.

trukhead

Wobbly Wheels

I bought two M35 A3 wheels from Ft. Polk and they still had the castin lines on the threads. However one wheel was half full of water and the counterweight on the other wheel was in the wrong spot. both wheels will be disassembled when I get ambitious.

The wheels on my A3 are out of balance above 50 mph but I only go that fast 2% of the time. I bought some more of the rim bolts so I thought about adding some to see if the wheels can be brought more in balance, again if I feel ambitious.

:jumpin:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We took all the CTIS stuff and counter weights off our truck and that solved our problem. We are also running 70 psi in our tires.
Running 70 psi is not good. The tires can take it, but the wheels are limited to 60 psi max. That's why I stop at 55 psi.

Dustyh

glcaines, just curious why the wheels would only be rated to 60psi. Were did you find that info, is it stamped on the wheel? We are using our truck to fight wildfires and everyone else that has them and still running the CTIS stuff are having problems running the tires of the rim. We have yet to have any problems with ours, I will have to check into the 60psi rating. All I read was the info on the tire which stated max pressure was 80psi I believe.

trukhead

A3 rims

I will check on some brand new A3 rims in the shed durong the daylight:hammer:. I believe I saw the stamped with a max psi rating and it was not close to the 80 psi rating on the tires.

AceHigh

I bet the wheels are not the issue. I think the "O" rings in the wheels are only rated at 60 psi or so. Should not be an issue if you do not use CTIS as the wheel valve will isolate the "O" rings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks