• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Tach Sensor

Gr8wheels

Howdy, first post, great forum and thanks to all for the information, comments and entertainment contained herein.

My two week search for a replacement tachometer sensor for my newly purchased M35A3 is so far a failure. The one post on here a few years ago gave a CAT part # but the # is not working in the CAT parts search. All of the MV vendors,(several) I've inquired have no stock and no source So can I perhaps get a reccomendation here for a source? I would like to keep the truck stock so installing an aftermarket alternative tachometer and sensor would be the last resort.
Thanks

Additionally, I would like to know what life expectancy the stock tires should yield. I've measured about a 10% decrease in tread depth in 1,100 miles @ 55 lbs. of inflation mostly highway. The front tires are doing better than the rear but its a fantastic wear rate and a 50% greater expense than fuel,(6tires@600 ea.) if this is normal.

AceHigh

The sensor is not a Cat part. It is a standard off the shelf magnetic pickup and there are several sources for it. Are you sure it is bad? They rarely fail. Could have a piece of metal on the pickup, or could be slightly out of adjustment.

Gr8wheels

Yes, the sensor is kuput. I bech tested it. after removing it, cleaning it, re-installing per specs. Tachometer is getting power but neither RPM or hours are advanced when engine in running.
Can you recommend a vendor to purchase one? and a part #?
thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part number do you have?

Gr8wheels

thanks Doghead,
That is the thread I spoke of, the CAT# is non-functional and the Manufacturers # American General is not available-----
Square #1
Is there an alternative source or valid CAT# for the M25A3 Tach sensor?

BTW those #s EX2547 are on the faulty sensor
The 5/8" x 18 tpi sensor is listed on a website for AETNA Eng. #8992 but without the technical specifications for the original I have no way of knowing if it will work- a $100.00 gamble with long odds

Last edited:

AceHigh

All the sensor does is send a pulse every time it is near the teeth on the flywheel. If the one you list fits, has 2 wires, it will work.

I put an aftermarket tach in mine, but first removed the sensor and made sure it worked. There is no magic here, just one pulse per tooth. If the new sensor does not work, you will need a new tach. They are almost unavailable out there, so hope the sensor does it for you.

lawnmowerman

well I could be interested in tach but don't know if its the sensor or tach or what tach was installed new looks like an aftermarket if such a thing not sure how to check either how much are you asking for tach

lawnmowerman

well I don't know if its the tach or sensor sensor looks almost like it is plastic haven't taken sensor out yet but wouldn't know how to check it if I did but what are you asking for tach and if my sensor is plastic is that correct to m35a3 would change out both if I have too/ provided sensor was available

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks