• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Tranny Changed Shift Points

captcarc

Greetings! I drive my A3 all the time with no problems. It's got 8200 miles on it. Two days ago, and still today, it's decided to downshift, from all gears, at higher than normal RPM's as you slow down. It's not a major problem but makes for a jerky stop. It's the change in tranny behavior that concerns me. It may also upshift at higher revs, but it's not noticeable enough for me to confirm that. Any thoughts/comments? Thank you very much!

rustystud

Greetings! I drive my A3 all the time with no problems. It's got 8200 miles on it. Two days ago, and still today, it's decided to downshift, from all gears, at higher than normal RPM's as you slow down. It's not a major problem but makes for a jerky stop. It's the change in tranny behavior that concerns me. It may also upshift at higher revs, but it's not noticeable enough for me to confirm that. Any thoughts/comments? Thank you very much!
Check the governor. There should be a small filter that feeds oil to the governor. It can become plugged. This will give you almost no governor pressure which causes the tranny to downshift at lower speeds. Also the governor weights can become stuck. Take it out and check for movement of the shaft and weights.

captcarc

Thank you Sir! I will check that. (Please note that it is downshifting at higher speeds now, not lower. Any change to your troubleshooting suggestion?) Thanks again.

rustystud

Thank you Sir! I will check that. (Please note that it is downshifting at higher speeds now, not lower. Any change to your troubleshooting suggestion?) Thanks again.
No, the governor controls the shift points along with the modulator valve (cable connected to the throttle) . The two forces work with and against each other. When you accelerate your pushing the throttle down which gives you more modulator pressure. This is acting against the governor pressure which is controlled by the RPM of the transmission.