• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 TRANSMISSION Problem..

trukhead

m35a3 tranny maintenance

Thanks a ton for the input of all the posters of this and the other threads. I checked the trans dipstick the fluid just touched the bottom and it looked like old engine oil crap. I have put about 5 miles on it playing and will not operate it until I do fluid drain and pan drop and clean.
I will also attend to the airline near the radiator shroud that potentially cause the fan to destroy the radiator. see another thread, I can't remeber how to get there.
and I want to reverse the direction of the drivers side tires on the rims to match the forward orientation of the passenger side.
I like driving this offroad thorobred.
I just love that allison and turbo cat.

I just got a 5 ton trailer to pull behind it. I got a big sand box to play in!:jumpin:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to ask a question-

I picked up an A3 (not for me) and I'm trying to get it driving correctly. As of right now, it will work as intended in Reverse, goes backwards slowly in N, and does nothing in D, 3, 2, or 1. Anyone with any experiance with these have a suggestion? I'm thinking maybe a linkage issue? I tried to find some TMs on the site but had no luck.

Thanks.

zoom

I appreciated the information posted. I've encountered something along the lines of issues mentioned herein. My A3 was moving at about 40-45 mph when it suddenly downshifted to first very abruptly. I checked the fluid level and it was a bit on the high side while just registering on the trans temp gauge. No leaks of any kind and all the linkages are clean, dry, and appear to be well adjusted. Regardless the engine speed/RPM it will not up-shift. I do have reverse and neutral, as well as 1st gear. What gives?

Last edited:

zoom

I appreciated the information posted. I've encountered something along the lines of issues mentioned herein. My A3 was moving at about 40-45 mph when it suddenly downshifted to first very abruptly. I checked the fluid level and it was a bit on the high side while just registering on the trans temp gauge. No leaks of any kind and all the linkages are clean, dry, and appear to be well adjusted. Regardless the engine speed/RPM it will not up-shift. I do have reverse and neutral, as well as 1st gear. What gives?
Wanted to add what I learned for the record: The military 15W40 oil run in the transmission is a modern detergent type which ate the plastic centrifugal gear. The replacement was a breeze but DEXIII is going in ASAP, I'd highly recommend the same to any A3'ers out there. It will improve your temperature performance range as well. The lube order shows the breakover at only 10 degrees Fahrenheit!! (if you're north of the 40th parallel, I'd say its a good idea!)

renovate7

Can anyone post a picture of the return line to the transmission? I like the idea of flushing the system by removing it and adding DexIII until it shows up here.

zoom

Can anyone post a picture of the return line to the transmission? I like the idea of flushing the system by removing it and adding DexIII until it shows up here.
I'll try to snap a shot as soon as the snow stops falling... In the meantime, just look for your external transmission filter underneath your radiators, its a spin-on type and the return line is plumbed to run in the frame rail from there back. It may be the easiest access point. Might even be able to just take the filter off and flush it without having to mess with the fittings by leaving the filter off. (a possibility at least)

eldgenb

Will do, thanks for the info..A old School bus transmission looks good.!
Thanks!
Kevin..
just upgrade it to an allison with overdrive, you will like it much better and it will be cheaper than buying one from a surplus guy, just an FYI there are a couple on a popularly advertised auction site right now too.

mktopside

Banned
just upgrade it to an allison with overdrive, you will like it much better and it will be cheaper than buying one from a surplus guy, just an FYI there are a couple on a popularly advertised auction site right now too.
Do you know which models are OD models? I can find used and rebuild Allison's all day long, but I really don't know which ones will fit, and which ones are OD.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks