• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 transmission question

Loganwood

I can't seem to find the part number for the internal transmission filter on the a3. Part store doesn't show it. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong and there isn't one. Also, anybody have any luck getting it flushed? Ive called 15 places and they're all afraid of the oil that's in there messing up their flushing equipment or some other excuse. Anybody try pulling the return line and feeding the transmission with fluid as it's drained from the return line? If so, do you feel this worked ok? Or maybe drain the pan, fill, drive, drain again and repeat until fluid is switched?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know the answer right off hand but have you downloaded the tech manuals and checked the part number?

You can get all the Technical Manuals in PDF format for free.

LO 9-2320-386-12 Lube Order
TM 9-2320-389-10 Operators Manual
TM 9-2320-389-24-1-1 Unit and General Support Manual
TM 9-2320-389-24-1-2 Unit and General Support Manual
TM 9-2320-389-24p Parts Manual

mktopside

Banned
I can't seem to find the part number for the internal transmission filter on the a3. Part store doesn't show it. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong and there isn't one. Also, anybody have any luck getting it flushed? Ive called 15 places and they're all afraid of the oil that's in there messing up their flushing equipment or some other excuse. Anybody try pulling the return line and feeding the transmission with fluid as it's drained from the return line? If so, do you feel this worked ok? Or maybe drain the pan, fill, drive, drain again and repeat until fluid is switched?
That's what I did. By the time you get all the lines off and the whole rig set up, you could already be draining it for the second time. I didn't drive it in between, I just ran it through the gears after letting it get warm. I'm sure there are better ways, but my fluid is nice and clean.

Remember to drain from the little drain plug on the back of the pan, and not the massive one on the side. You can use the one on the side....... but it's going to spray everywhere.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM 9-2320-389-24p manual Figure #84, the part number is Allison 29503617. Googleing it shows it crosses to Baldwin 19992.

Napa crosses the Baldwin # to:

ATP 14959 $25.79

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem. I forgot I have the A3 manuals so I just looked it up.

It is like a treasury hunt. What can I find today!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does a smoked alternator have to do with a transmission? Start a new thread and delete this post. More people will find it and help.

Loganwood

Got it shortly after this post started at different parts store. Shifts a lot better now as others have reported. I used dexron III and just did several drain and fills and changed both filters. Worked like a charm. Just an update for others to consider