• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 vs m923a2 need some opinions

randygk

I drive the deuce - my arms hurt shifting and steering
I drive the 5 ton - my neck and back hurt from the ride
Smiling while driving either one -- have both

marbaja252

Thanks guys for all the input you have all made good points. I like the wife options too. She is slowly seeing all the benefits to having the a3 truck we have now. Ha Ha not really. I tell her these are much cheaper than a new Corvette or Camaro mid-life crisis vehicle and slower too. But you still get the looks from people driving by.

I think I may have to pull the trigger on the 5 ton and try it for myself and decide on which one to keep or keep both.

dmetalmiki

And once you have them, too much enjoyment to enjoy(as you age) to miss up on. You in one, Partner in the other. Cruising to events. Not much more to ask (or want).

99nouns

Or if it all fails we can move into your garage with you to keep company!!!

doghead brings the fridge, I will build the bathroom...

tobyS

Or if it all fails we can move into your garage with you to keep company!!!

doghead brings the fridge, I will build the bathroom...
His wife will be thrilled that he has so many new friends!

I'll bet she likes that as much as the BIGGER truck.

I didn't make that mistake. I started off with the big ones and then hiding the deuce behind one was not so hard.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce drives more like a large pickup whereas a 5 ton really feels more like a semi....

Whenever I take out my 5 ton, I feel like I'm prepping for a flight.. Gotta go through the checklist, let it warm up, check connections/fluids/temps/pressures, etc.

I find the 5 ton easier to drive (auto, power steering, full air brakes, etc), but being heaver, requires a lot more attention farther down the road.... Ie slowing down well ahead of lights, anticipating light cycles, etc. Around here we have countdown timers on the walk/don't walk signals, and they're timed so the don't walk goes solid when traffic light goes yellow, so I can tell I have X seconds until I get a yellow, and it's not uncommon to have idiots honking at you for slowing down for a 'green light'.... when you're a couple hundred feet out....

Security is better on the 5 ton as the cab isn't at eye level anymore, same with the bed. You REALLY need a step to get into front or back... So it's REALLY obvious when someone is scoping out your truck.. Someone would REALLY have to try to get on the truck, compared to the deuce where you could grab the door from the ground, on a 5 ton, even on 1100r20s, it's a pretty big step... I'd say the average person can see into the cab of a deuce, from the ground.. The same person would be staring at the bottom of the door on a 5 ton..

Last edited:

marbaja252

A deuce drives more like a large pickup whereas a 5 ton really feels more like a semi....

Whenever I take out my 5 ton, I feel like I'm prepping for a flight.. Gotta go through the checklist, let it warm up, check connections/fluids/temps/pressures, etc.

I find the 5 ton easier to drive (auto, power steering, full air brakes, etc), but being heaver, requires a lot more attention farther down the road.... Ie slowing down well ahead of lights, anticipating light cycles, etc. Around here we have countdown timers on the walk/don't walk signals, and they're timed so the don't walk goes solid when traffic light goes yellow, so I can tell I have X seconds until I get a yellow, and it's not uncommon to have idiots honking at you for slowing down for a 'green light'.... when you're a couple hundred feet out....

Security is better on the 5 ton as the cab isn't at eye level anymore, same with the bed. You REALLY need a step to get into front or back... So it's REALLY obvious when someone is scoping out your truck.. Someone would REALLY have to try to get on the truck, compared to the deuce where you could grab the door from the ground, on a 5 ton, even on 1100r20s, it's a pretty big step... I'd say the average person can see into the cab of a deuce, from the ground.. The same person would be staring at the bottom of the door on a 5 ton..
I know what your saying about the semi part. There is a 923 here in Des Moines on display and have stopped to look at it several times. Yes it is much larger in size than my A3 all the way around. My deuce is handy and can get around about anywhere, just not at highway speeds. The 5 ton will be like driving a semi tractor around bob tail. Thanks for the input.

marbaja252

Another question to you guys that have these trucks. What is the tallest point on the truck with stock 14.00 tires? The exhaust stack or the tire hoist? My shop door if 12' and my lowest point in the shop is 10'6". From what I have researched and found out I think I am ok.

Csm Davis

The stack normally is an inch or two higher, but you should be fine just watch when you pull in the first time. Sounds like you have decided to go ahead and get a 5 ton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ford Mechanic

I've had a M35a2 and now have a M923A2 I do miss the manual and the Whistler but your A3 has neither. Your A3 will turn shorter than my 923, but even though the 14.00's are rated at 55 mine runs +65mph quite a bit. I am fixing to drop to 395's just for the speed rating and a little more power down low. The brakes work awesome, I also haul dirt and gravel with mine quite a bit. The extra room in the cab is a big plus. As far as height mine measures 10 ft 3 inches to the top of the trolly on the spare tire crane

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another question to you guys that have these trucks. What is the tallest point on the truck with stock 14.00 tires? The exhaust stack or the tire hoist? My shop door if 12' and my lowest point in the shop is 10'6". From what I have researched and found out I think I am ok.
My 5 ton is ~12' on 1100r20..BUT... It's an M934... lol

I believe specs put an A2 ~10ft tall. It'd be pretty easy to cut the exhaust down and put a flapper or 90* on it if you had to...

marbaja252

Just how fast are you wanting to go?
The 5 ton isn't much faster. Tires are limited to 55.
No matter how well balanced, they tell you what speed they like.

I know some guys drive faster, but you still have to stop.
The faster you go, the harder to stop.
Cars love to pull out right in front of 5 tons.
Have a dash camera in all my vehicles just in case.
55 is fast enough for me.

5 ton also turns like an oil tanker. Need lots of room.
A tailgate that's 5 feet high and heavy doesn't help a lot either.
It rides like a tank. Of course they all do.
Hauled 7 tons of gravel yesterday. She rode great then.

The brakes work very well. Mine will toss you in the windshield if you wanted to.
Great fuel mileage for a truck that size and Weight.

I have also used my 5 ton for things it was never intended for.
Like a wind block for an approaching storm.
Saved a travel trailer and shed one night.
Truck didn't budge in 90+ mph winds.
Very happy with the size and weight then!!!

I originally wanted a deuce, but couldn't find one I liked.
5 tons instead.
Have really enjoyed mine.

Only you can decide which one fits you.

Happy wife.......Happy life
I would like to run 55-60 so I don't start a car convoy behind me. My A3 with 395's 50mph max @ 2700-2800 rpm on GPS.

The turns like an oil tanker is classic, I work with a guy that drove them in the service and said yes you need lots of area to turn around. That is a factor here in my decision. Unlike my A3 I can put it about anywhere.

The weight of the truck too, my driveway 4" only no rebar. Just tired of slow hwy speed. Don't mind the air PS it ok and quieter would be nice.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight of the truck too, my driveway 4" only no rebar. Just tired of slow hwy speed. Don't mind the air PS it ok and quieter would be nice.
Unless you already have hollow, washed out, or sunken parts below your driveway, I wouldn't worry about that. I had an M816 5-ton wrecker on my regular residential driveway for about a year and it moved around all over it. It weights in excess of 36,000 lbs. A good 10,000 lbs more than any of the 5 ton cargos that you're considering.

For me, considering a 5 ton cargo would mostly come down to (besides the money part) laws/restrictions/ordinances in my city/neighborhood, insurance, registration, licensing, and what roads I wanted to drive on (narrow, weight restrictions, unimproved, etc) - all of which are very dependent on where you live.

I know the FTMVs are hailed as having many electrical gremlins, but maybe you should still consider them? An M1078 is 4x4, same weight rating (it's a deuce and a half), shorter in length than the 5-ton cargos, higher speed than an M35A3, more comfortable (so I've read - I've never sat in nor drove one), cab fits 3.

Immediate downside is typically price (price for purchase, price for parts), and for some, looks.

Last edited:

marbaja252

Unless you already have hollow, washed out, or sunken parts below your driveway, I wouldn't worry about that. I had an M816 5-ton wrecker on my regular residential driveway for about a year and it moved around all over it. It weights in excess of 36,000 lbs. A good 10,000 lbs more than any of the 5 ton cargos that you're considering.

For me, considering a 5 ton cargo would mostly come down to (besides the money part) laws/restrictions/ordinances in my city/neighborhood, insurance, registration, licensing, and what roads I wanted to drive on (narrow, weight restrictions, unimproved, etc) - all of which are very dependent on where you live.

I know the FTMVs are hailed as having many electrical gremlins, but maybe you should still consider them? An M1078 is 4x4, same weight rating (it's a deuce and a half), shorter in length than the 5-ton cargos, higher speed than an M35A3, more comfortable (so I've read - I've never sat in nor drove one), cab fits 3.

Immediate downside is typically price (price for purchase, price for parts), and for some, looks.
I have hear the same electrical problems and high cost to repair. You look at the short service of these vehicles compared to the M-series trucks and its much shorter. I may have to stay with my slow deuce and like it. thank you

marbaja252

I've had a M35a2 and now have a M923A2 I do miss the manual and the Whistler but your A3 has neither. Your A3 will turn shorter than my 923, but even though the 14.00's are rated at 55 mine runs +65mph quite a bit. I am fixing to drop to 395's just for the speed rating and a little more power down low. The brakes work awesome, I also haul dirt and gravel with mine quite a bit. The extra room in the cab is a big plus. As far as height mine measures 10 ft 3 inches to the top of the trolly on the spare tire crane

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, I hope I am doing the right thing. I am going to pull the trigger on the 5 ton and give a try. I hope all the pros out-weigh the cons. If so the A3 will have to find a new home. Sad.:-(

tobyS

Thanks for the input, I hope I am doing the right thing. I am going to pull the trigger on the 5 ton and give a try. I hope all the pros out-weigh the cons. If so the A3 will have to find a new home. Sad.:-(
Then you're not truly addicted. Real green iron addiction means always adding and never getting rid of. Or if you do sell one, you buy two more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks