• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 wheel beadlocks

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

Apparently the beadlock to run 395/85R20s on an M35A3 wheel is not 7.5" wide. Nor 8.0" wide.

Before I pull the trigger on buying the correct size, and go through all that work, I wanted to ask: what is it?

Thanks,
SJ/JD

HDN

I was under the impression the ones that came with the stock 14.5R20 tires would work with the 395s, but that's not the case? :oops:

I found your beadlock insert removal thread from a couple months ago and @tobyS mentioned something about different sized beadlocks. 10 or 11 inches wide? I haven't gotten a rim apart yet but I imagine they'd have to be close to the rim width.

HDN

I didn't realize the 5-ton super single rims were narrower than the A3 rims. But they're a wider diameter?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the 5-ton bead locks are the same diameter as the A3. Just curious if they're lighter or they just use thicker steel.

tobyS

I didn't realize the 5-ton super single rims were narrower than the A3 rims. But they're a wider diameter?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the 5-ton bead locks are the same diameter as the A3. Just curious if they're lighter or they just use thicker steel.

The Henderson 20 x 11 are entirely rubber like Dave (Eastern) posted above. I have not seen steel ones for A3 wheels.

tobyS

Just discovered that these A3 beadlocks, Hutchesin 11 x 20 have different weight. Now I see a difference in the thickness. Rubber of one is about an inch thick and the other is 3/4. The thicker would seem to put more pressure than the thinner one.

To me, this suggests that we have some choice in a really tight or not, beadlock.

For my mostly highway and farm, I'll stick to the thinner....a whopping 7 pounds less.

HDN

Just discovered that these A3 beadlocks, Hutchesin 11 x 20 have different weight. Now I see a difference in the thickness. Rubber of one is about an inch thick and the other is 3/4. The thicker would seem to put more pressure than the thinner one.

To me, this suggests that we have some choice in a really tight or not, beadlock.

For my mostly highway and farm, I'll stick to the thinner....a whopping 7 pounds less.

How much do both beadlock inserts actually weigh? I've heard 30-40 lbs.

HDN

Do we need bead locks in civilian use? I dread the day, I need to pull them out and reinstall in new tires.
Unless you're using a CTIS, I don't think so. I want to keep beadlock inserts installed on my tires with the thought that if I have a fast leak or blowout while driving that the tire won't separate from the rim, assuming the whole tire isn't destroyed.

HDN

Yeah I use CTIS, so they're needed then?
Unless you want your tires losing air and falling off the rim when they're run at lower pressures, yes :)

I believe the way beadlock inserts work is that they keep the tire bead pressed and seated against the rim regardless of tire pressure, keeping the rest of the air in the tire from escaping when the lower tire pressure would otherwise unseat the bead and break the seal against the rim.

I haven't gotten to the point where I've been able to actually see how these go in and out of the tire first hand, but I plan on trying the ratchet strap method when I take them out of my old 14.5s and install them in my 395s.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't gotten to the point where I've been able to actually see how these go in and out of the tire first hand, but I plan on trying the ratchet strap method when I take them out of my old 14.5s and install them in my 395s.
Unlike the solid rubber runflats these "rubber band-type" beadlocks can be installed with bare hands and no tools required. Good lubrication (with tire soap) helps a lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks