• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 winch ops issues for newbie

unispeed

Well got my ne a3 w/w and the winch won't work....
filter guage is in the green and the enable selector is putting air on the relief valve but I don't think the relief valve is opening (is it air to open "send press to the in/out vlve" and spring close.... ?
The relief valve and hoses warm up so i feel oil is circulating .....
know of any details of the valve?
thanks
Mark

Attachments

motomacguyver

I am pretty sure the valve you have pointed out is the "over pressure relief" safety valve.

The valve at the very bottom of the diagram is the air operated pay in, pay out control valve.

A couple of guy's have had to free up a sticky valve at this point I believe. (Few drops of air tool oil in the ports)

unispeed

It is labled as a releif valve....
a airline is connected to it...
I disconnect the airline and air is pressureized when the red selector on the shift console is placed in enable (not bypassed).
I believe that this valve fails (defaults on loss off airpress) to circulate only mode "no hydralic pressure (for safety) and also keeps from warming up the oil.... it just circulated with no pressure when the winch is in bypass which disables the pay in/out valve...
My iterpretation only not

Attachments

motomacguyver

Are you sure the winch clutch at the front of the truck is engaged? I had to pull the cable as I moved the clutch until it fell into place. Also the Lock tab should be moved out to a shallow slot to allow the drum to spin. The TM9-2320-386-24-1-2 has a schematic. It’s at the very end of the manual - page 753.

motomacguyver

Are you sure the winch clutch at the front of the truck is engaged? I had to pull the cable as I moved the clutch until it fell into place. Also the Lock tab should be moved out to a shallow slot to allow the drum to spin. The TM9-2320-386-24-1-2 has a schematic. It’s at the very end of the manual - page 753.
Did this fix your problem?

unispeed

I was waiting till I figured this out totally but here is where I am at
The valve (with the red arrow n the pic) allows pressurized hyd oil to the next valve (pay in/pay out) when the lever on the shift console is in the enable mode.

out of desperation their is a 5/8 nut on top the I decided to loosen well when i turned it it was a spool I applied air it rose up removed air sprung back down...now the winch works! (when that spool is in up position under air) (i could see that little trick helping old non operated valves out wish there was a way to keep this in front of the gang cause i could not find a exploded view of that valve anywhere)

Question? The pay in/out switch is a momentaryup/down spring return to center
should not center be nuetral?

My winch seems to to stay in the last pay direction used
so when you enable it with the big red lever it starts moving which i don't like.. have not found it in the manuals yet so i did not want to ask with out scouring the tcm's

any way the relief valvle is working and so is the winch (have not loaded it yet?? though) just need to get ops verified
thanks
mark

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think I have a dead PTO, I want a second opinion.

First: M35A3 w/w, obviously. Engage the winch air valve lever (18 ) on the shift tower, unlock winch drum, engage winch. Move the winch air control valve lever to the spool out or in position and you can hear air move and the shaft in the winch hydraulic control valve moves up and down.

Reservoir is full of fluid, the filter gauge does not show any excessive restriction (it's in the green).

You can see the control valve moving:

http://youtu.be/q9sCsevpllI

So, with engine running, and the control valve moving, hoses disconnected from winch hydraulic motor and no pressure coming out, am I wrong to assume it has to be a dead PTO? I don't have a way to properly pressure test it, the hoses are ginormous.

The troubleshooting PM for the winch seems really insufficient: 9.2320-386-24-1-1 has a troubleshooting section for the winch but nothing covering this. Page 70 begins.

Gracias

C

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think I have a dead PTO, I want a second opinion.

First: M35A3 w/w, obviously. Engage the winch air valve lever (18 ) on the shift tower, unlock winch drum, engage winch. Move the winch air control valve lever to the spool out or in position and you can hear air move and the shaft in the winch hydraulic control valve moves up and down.

Reservoir is full of fluid, the filter gauge does not show any excessive restriction (it's in the green).

You can see the control valve moving:

http://youtu.be/q9sCsevpllI

So, with engine running, and the control valve moving, hoses disconnected from winch hydraulic motor and no pressure coming out, am I wrong to assume it has to be a dead PTO? I don't have a way to properly pressure test it, the hoses are ginormous.

The troubleshooting PM for the winch seems really insufficient: 9.2320-386-24-1-1 has a troubleshooting section for the winch but nothing covering this. Page 70 begins.

Gracias

C
Aright, that was quick.

After going back over the system in the tm, I realized there was another valve in the system. This allows the fluid to flow. It can be seen as the culprit in this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?92351-winch-M35A3

After soaking it and freeing it up, I now have a winch.

20140401_135143[1].jpg

spoolbooster

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks