• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 with 395 spare wheel in stock location?

HDN

As I mull over whether to switch from 365s to 395s, I'm thinking about where to put the spare tire since I've read that it won't fit in the usual spot. My first thought was to put it in the bed, mounting it flat against the front center of the box similar to the M37. Then if I got a flat on the side of the road and called a tire service, I'd have to help the tire guy unload the 400 lb sucker from the bed or figure out some way to make it easier (I don't want to mount a bed crane - I like my flat floor!).

As I searched the forum for solutions, I saw that fellow member @VPed managed to fit a 395 spare in the regular location on his M35A2. From the data plates, it doesn't look like the M35A3 has different axle spacing from that of the A2. Is there something I'm missing with this mod that others have not been able to pull this off with the A3? I'd rather put the spare where it was originally intended to go on the truck if possible.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dimensions there are all the same, between models. Problem is you only have about 44" measured from the toolbox back to the 1st rear axle tire, if you are already running 395's. That means the toolbox needs to be modified/shortened to make enough room for a tire that's almost 46" in diameter. And then the spare tire carrier needs to be re-positioned further out and to the front, accordingly.

It is doable, but not very practical - so most carry their spare in the bed. Or just keep the original 14.5R20 size for a spare.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a M35A2. I do not know if my tool box dimension are different from an A3.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm building a structure that has room for a 395 and will have a hydraulic winch up high for an A frame rear crane. It gets rotated up and has a steel roof box that will attach and go about one foot in front of the windshield. I plated the frame and made a weld saddle under the structure for strength and will be adding diagonals and tanks. ,etc. It also functions as rollover and cab protection. An M105 bed attaches to the back, uncut frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

HDN

Mine is a M35A2. I do not know if my tool box dimension are different from an A3.
Sorry it took me awhile to measure this, but my truck's tool box from the back of the driverside fender to the end of its door is about 31-1/16". From the pictures of A2s I've seen the toolboxes don't look any different.

I'm wondering if the modification you made to the spare tire holder allows the tire to pivot enough on the holder that clearance issues are avoided. I don't have a big enough piece of cardboard to mock this one up. Plus I'm not sure how much difference there is with the C-channel spacer on my truck's spare tire holder.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really curious what comes out of this. Because I had thought about doing exactly what you're looking at doing, HDN, only to come to the same conclusion that gringeltaube had about putting it in the bed. At which point I figured I'd plumb in a 2nd fuel tank in that location instead. And I don't really want to completely hijack your thread with that idea, but that's kinda what I'm hoping to figure out from this...

HDN

If I can't get a 395/85R20 spare to fit there, I was thinking of trying to mount a 365/85R20 there instead, or even the standard-size 11.00x20 or 9.00x20. I just don't want to put a spare in the bed if possible.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plus I'm not sure how much difference there is with the C-channel spacer on my truck's spare tire holder.
The purpose of the c-channel spacer is to clear the parking brake drum.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

The purpose of the c-channel spacer is to clear the parking brake drum.
Thank you for clarifying that! I did find one of your posts detailing what you did to get the 395 to fit in the stock location:

That sounds like more of a project than I'd like, so I'll probably just stick with a smaller donut-style spare. Thank you for detailing your mod :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks