• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3C Run problems

kawhill

Busy summer on the farm. Started the deuce for the first time in a couple of months.
Started right up, ran strong for about 20 seconds and then sputtered and quit. Fuel tank was at about 75% full. Added 10 gallons of fresh fuel, changed fuel filter and same thing. Was hoping that a knowledgeable member might have some pointers before I start
pouring through the TM's and changing parts. Any help would be most appreciated. My best regards.

kawhill

R Racing

could be a number of things. But id first check the electric fuel pump on the top of the fuel tank.second look for any cracked rubber fuel lines.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also look for algae in the fuel tank.
A SHORT run time would be about right for enough algae to completely foul the first fuel filter. if you crack open that Fuel Filter Can and there is a light brown slime you will need to THOROUGHLY CLEAN out the algae and CHANGE the Fuel Filter Element. ADD a product called SEA FOAM (available at WALMART and most parts stores) to your fuel in the recommended proportions on the label and continue to ADD SEA FOAM with any additional fueling for at least TWO TANKS FULL. That should KILL the ALGAE.

"Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt."

Carry on.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
could be a number of things. But id first check the electric fuel pump on the top of the fuel tank.second look for any cracked rubber fuel lines.
The M35A3 is not equiped with a fuel pump in the tank. However your symptoms indicated the in line check valve at the
top of tank is sticking closed. Pull the fuel line at the top of the tank and get the check valve out and clean it up. Pretty common for A3s that sit for a while. Report back.

kawhill

Thanks much for the advice Scar59. Pulled the check valve and it was filled with black tar looking stuff and was completely frozen. No way it was going to
move. Letting it soak now in some rust penetrant. I'll clean the gunk out, pressurize the tank and I think she'll be good to go. Thanks again and you have
my best regards.

kawhill

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal on the easy fix. Be careful pressurizing the tank. The engine will draw from the tank w/ no problem if the check valve is freed up. Make sure you get it freed up.

kawhill

I love it when a plan comes together. Tried just about everything to clean the check valve and still had gunk in there. Finally decided to spend a little money
on the old girl and bought a new valve. Installed it, cranked her over about four times, she sputtered a little and then fired right up. No tank pressurization
necessary. She's purring like a cat at a high idle as I type this. Once again, much thanks Scar59 and you have my best regards Sir.

kawhill

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love it when a plan comes together. Tried just about everything to clean the check valve and still had gunk in there. Finally decided to spend a little money
on the old girl and bought a new valve. Installed it, cranked her over about four times, she sputtered a little and then fired right up. No tank pressurization
necessary. She's purring like a cat at a high idle as I type this. Once again, much thanks Scar59 and you have my best regards Sir.

kawhill
Good for you Kawhill,
The Cat 3116 is a very good/reliable powerplant. Don't mind the haters. That engine has powered thousands of marine
and off road equipment applications, still does. Keep it tuned/sync'ed, serviced, and dont abuse it and it will last forever.
Install a good block heater for COLD winter starts. Keep the ether full.
Have fun, be safe
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks