• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36 frame length question

Unforgiven

Is the M36A2 frame longer than the M35A2, or is it simply an M35 frame with the rear axles located further back?

I want to move my M35 rear axles back a few feet to accomodate a crew cab. But to keep the full-length 12' bed I would have to extend the rear of the frame by the same amount.

I'm curious if the M36 are actually longer frames to begin with. Also, as long as the rear suspension connection is still under the M35 frame, would a few feet of rear extension to the M35 frame still be legal? What I mean is, place the bogie at the very back of the existing M35 frame & have an extension bolted on from there for the remainder of the frame to support the bed & have a rear pintle hitch. Technically, the suspension would still be under the original frame.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the M36 frame is longer. 20' bed as compared to 14' for the m35. The M814 shares the same frame length as the m36, and the M813 matches the M35. The 813, 814 just have the higher load capacity.

Unforgiven

That's good to know. Are M814 frames easy to come by? It might be easier to adapt one of those rather than trying to find an M36 or extend the M35.

tm america

wrong.The m36 uses a 17ft bed not 20ft.. m814 is longer.... the m35 uses a 12 ft bed...i believe the m813 uses a 14ft bed... but either way the frame on a m36 is 5ft longer than the frame on a m35

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what I get for counting ribs and not looking up the specs. There were 2 814's up for auction last week on GL.

Sephirothq

The M36 has a double frame to support the extra weight.

Those trucks are a bit long and don't have the greatest turning radius.

I am going to be bobbing an m36
it's just too long as is.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't wait to go get my M814. I wanted the longer bed, and I hope I can get my full size chevy in the back. Long doesn't bother me!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 20' bed on the M814 is awesome!
The M36's 17' bed is barely long enough for my M880.
I have thought long & hard about making a crew cab Deuce
Using a M36 with a M35 bed leaving about 5' to make the crew cab.
Not sold on the side view with out moving the axles back, (making the turning radius even bigger)

Std pic of my M36A2

Oh! EMD567, Pineview Surplus in Frederic, MI has a nice tan cargo cover for a M814

Attachments

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

As long as the rear suspension connection is still under the M35 frame, would a few feet of rear extension to the M35 frame still be legal? What I mean is, place the bogie at the very back of the existing M35 frame & have an extension bolted on from there for the remainder of the frame to support the bed & have a rear pintle hitch. Technically, the suspension would still be under the original frame.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I know this thread is old, but curious if you ever did this or if anyone else has any info on this. Reason I ask is once I get the crew cab done I was considering doing the same thing to keep the 12 foot bed, then build a custom camper/box on the back of that.

There of course are concerns of balance issues due to more weight beyond the rear axles if left in the original position as well as if the axles were moved back two feet.

Thanks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks