• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36A3 Camper?

13F10

I read previously in a post about the M36a3, and it's basically a Deuce/5ton with a 18ft bed..

So given the considerable frame length, has anyone ever considered a quad-cab M109van camper M36?

The best of both worlds... Transport the family in 1 MV, and like UncleMikey's setup, have a warm place to sleep at night!

*I am thoroughly jealous of what UncleMikey's done with his M35..*

13f10

13F10

I believe that would be the long wheelbase version of the A3, and that they are somewhat hard to find.
Shovelheadmike

Correct, they are the long version of the a3, and rare. But I'm saying has anyone given the quad cab, m109van body on a stretched deuce frame consideration?

I think with the quad cabs length the regular long bed could be replaced for a natural fitting m109 van body with little to hardly any modification aside from making the deuce cab a quad.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There have been several threads about making 4 door deuces.....if you don't mind modifying a somewhat rare vehicle to achive this goal I guess it is all good.

One idea is to put a S-280 shelter in the back of the long bed and have a "back porch" behind the shelter.

13F10

Wreckerman,

Yeah, I've read ALOT about the S280's and the ability to snug'em in the bed. But personally I like the M109. Windows are a necessity when camping.

The down side with the S280 is it necessitates installation and removal, which most people want. But in the event that you want a straight up camper, i think the M109 Van is the way to go.

tm america

Sounds like a good plan..Maybe you could make a pass through to get from the cab to the bed ..Then you could have extra useable seating back there too. Another good thing about the qaud cab long wheel base m109 camper is youll have plenty of room for the gen and waste and fresh water tanks..You could probably even fit another tool box on there too?€[thumbzup]

Unforgiven

An M820 5 ton already has a long wheelbase with expandable shelter on it.

I watched a non-drivable M36A3 go for over $4300 on GL last week. It was jacked up pretty good. It looked like someone drove it over a cliff. The driveline was bent beyond repair & from the pics the frame in the center looked warped. Who knows what the back of the transmission or differentials looked like. It definitely high-centered &/or dropped off a ledge.

I was surprised a non-functioning truck went for so much.

You could buy an M36A2, a used engine/tranny off of heavytruckparts.net, and an ugly A3 hood for less money than that non-functioning truck went for. Just build your own A3.

If your zoning laws allow it I would suggest a 5 ton base for an expedition truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that desert camo deuce camper was featured in one of the gun magazines a while back, I remember Peter Kokalis wrote about it in one of the more popular gun rags, maybe SOF. I can't remember if he built it as well....

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've toy'd with the idea of making a quad cab with one of those 'short' M35 beds.
The 109/185 body would be cool, you'll have to do something about the wheel opening location though.
an M820 expansible would be sweet, but would be alot of work to make that into a quad cab.

tamangel

mad, youre not thinking of this A3 are you?

Mike

also, the bigger your expo rig, the less off road accessible trails you'll be able to visit..unless you tow some smaller rig behind.. expansible vans with folding walls, IMHO, don't make good campers as everything has to be attached in the middle of the truck..unless you want more open space to stretch out in.. just my 2 centavos..

Attachments

Last edited:

Unforgiven

I think that's the one for sale in California for some retarded amount of money, well over 100 grand. The guy put like $140,000 into the truck. It must have all gone into labor because there's nothing special about the truck or the camper that an average do-it-yourselfer couldn't have done.

Personally, from the pics I don't see how he can justify that price. I understand he had a professional shop build the truck. Oh well, that's your problem. Looks like your sitting on a truck as expensive (more expensive) than my house.

I've never seen a photo of it on a serious trail. The only photos are on the beach, on graded gravel roads, on a fairly forgiving sand dune, etc. A person could drive a used 40' motor home to 99% of the places that truck's been.

And now he's selling it after only 17,000 miles? A Chevy Kodiak and a Montana fifth wheel would have been better for the money.

I think the A3 is underpowered for what you want to do. I think it's geared wrong as well. RV's see lots of road miles. You want something comfortable on the highway. You want it to have some grunt and a low center of gravity off road. Now a pop-up-Alaskan camper on a 20' M814 bed ... mmmmm, doughnuts.

13F10

how about this shelter on an M36a3? I don't remember where I got the pic, sorry..

and a deuce photo van (LWB) made into a camper..

Mike
Something like in this second pic. But make it a quad cab, that would be intresting to see.

I see alot of exterior pics of stuff, but nothing really of an interior for a slide-in/M109 or 185.

As far as the guy with the tan $140k M35a3, I think if he was gonna price it that high, it'd have slide-outs and the forward bunk over the cab would go all the way to the front bumper.

I totally agree with Unforgiven.. the owner has been huffing fumes (apparently).

Last edited:

13F10

Sounds like a good plan..Maybe you could make a pass through to get from the cab to the bed ..Then you could have extra useable seating back there too. Another good thing about the qaud cab long wheel base m109 camper is youll have plenty of room for the gen and waste and fresh water tanks..You could probably even fit another tool box on there too?€[thumbzup]
I wouldn't go so far as to make a pass through, you'd have alot of issues with sealing the space between the cab and camper, not to mention any frame twist would ruin that concept completely. Not only would that be an issue, but when the vehicle is parked when not in use, how'd you secure the camper?

Not like the M35 has door locks in the cab.

Bighurt

expansible vans with folding walls, IMHO, don't make good campers as everything has to be attached in the middle of the truck..unless you want more open space to stretch out in.. just my 2 centavos..
I hope to get one and prove you wrong. I do agree stock they don't offer any easy solutions however with modification it maybe possible.

My issue is the ability to use it expanded and not expanded.

I'd also like to throw in an NTC 400 instead of the 250.

Bighurt

always up for creative ideas and solution BH..go for it...!

Mike
I have to get one first...LOL

Wife's still not keen on my other items I have yet to pick-up...

I tried to convince her an MKT would be a nice addition she disagrees.

Shane has one being modified as we speak I hope to see what he does before starting any plans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks