• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36A3 Camper?

beetle

m35 rollback

Actually this is a question. I can no longer find parts for my 1984 mack ms250 midliner rollback, so I have been looking for a different cab & chassis for the bed. A buddy of mine asked me why I didn't just put it on one of my deuce trucks. At first I blew the idea off ,, buy it stuck. The regular m35 frame is too short for my 20' bed, but the long wheel base might work. Is this an insane idea, has anyone else done it or seen one that has been done? How hard is it to find a long wheel base? Actually lots of questions. Any constructive input wll be welcome. Thanks Beetle

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually this is a question. I can no longer find parts for my 1984 mack ms250 midliner rollback, so I have been looking for a different cab & chassis for the bed. A buddy of mine asked me why I didn't just put it on one of my deuce trucks. At first I blew the idea off ,, buy it stuck. The regular m35 frame is too short for my 20' bed, but the long wheel base might work. Is this an insane idea, has anyone else done it or seen one that has been done? How hard is it to find a long wheel base? Actually lots of questions. Any constructive input wll be welcome. Thanks Beetle
There have been other threads about using M-Series trucks for Roll-Backs. As I recall, the frame height seems to be a common challenge to such an adaptation.

I'd suggest that you become intimately friendly with the SEARCH function in the header above on every SteelSoldiers Forum webpage. Try SEARCHing "rollback" or "roll-back" for some good reading.

Good luck :grin:

From a purely technical perspective, a M36 with quad cab and a M109 box on the back sounds unbelievably sweet. I bet it would be awesome.

But from a purists standpoint, I can see the argument against cutting and modding a rare MV.

LC

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, some numbers to digest. M35 (M109) trucks utilize a 12' bed. M36A2 utilizes a 17' bed. M35 has a 154" wheelbase and the M36 has a 190" wheelbase. In order to put the 109 body on an M36 and have it look right you would have the center the van bodies wheelwells above the rear bogie assy. If you do that you will have 3' of gap between the cab and box and 2' of extra frame hanging off the back. I think adding 3' to the cab would work out nicely. I would add a 939 series cab and maintain that taper all the way back. You could add a porch on the back but if it were my truck, I would lose the extra 2' of frame and build a folding porch. With alot less overhang in the rear, it will be easier to tow with and a little easier to maneuver too. We need to hire an in house photoshop expert to put all these dreams into something we can see and experience.

Welder Sam

Ive actually done some figuring and such on the 4dr 36 w/109 box. By the time u crew it, u'have just enough room for the box w/o frame length issues. However, as another member pointed out, the 36 is "hard to get anywhere". The turn radius on the 35 is big but the 36 is huge. Fairly wide and semi straight trails. State parks with tight turns, narrow roads, and tight angled rv pads would be an enemy in my opinion.

Ya thought i wasnt listening didncha

Last edited:

tamangel

State parks with tight turns, narrow roads, and steep angled rv pads would be an enemy in my oppinion.
I don't think the M36a2's departure angle (24 degrees vs the deuce's 40 degrees-the A3's is the same as an A2, right?) would be a problem in most rv useable campgrounds. Just check out the overhangs on fancy class A's.. As far as turning radius, I did a quick google search and came up with the following: M35a2 turning radius 37'. I couldn't find an actual figure for the M36.. Anyone know by chance.

I think the only 'enemy' you might have in RV parks is....they don't let older (read: unconventional) 'RV's into some parks. Lowering the value and all that BS.. Public parks, just an overall length limit for overnight use..and your ability to make a bunch of 3 point turns when necessary :)

Mike W

"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition."
— Thomas Jefferson

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
-10 lists the standard WB trucks with a turning radius of 37.5 ' Long WB trucks at 42.5' Also for consideration, if you put that 109 box all the way back on the 36 frame, expect some tire clearance issues and weird handling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks