• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M36A3 long truck with fresh rattle can paint

Hoefler

Won this Sparta truck a few weeks ago. Drove it back to St Paul without issue. Did fluid change and flushed transmission with four flushes. Added new ATF and transmission filter. Flushed coolant-was pretty clean.
Added a set of new shoes too.
Truck had the typical hood surface rust that was flaking-even when driving. Removed the surface rust and paint. Primed with Eastwood rest encapsulator and painted with Gillipsie rattle can fake carc. Its better for now. The paint seems to settle down after a day or two-looked streaky and shiney at first. She is a good 50 footer now. Come spring it will get a proper paint striping and repaint.
I also own an M35A2 with winch. It drives better and seems like a better truck. However, the A3 is a little more fun to drive-not certain why.

Attachments

Hoefler

Scott,
Thank you.
My wife came to the shop yesterday and stumbled upon the new trucks. The blow back was not as bad as I thought. Think I have just worn her down.
Titled and licensed them yesterday, so good to go on the long truck.
FYI-I found the Allison C4, Dex III ATF at Fleet farm. They have it in 1 gallong and 5 gallon pails. Cost is about 9 dollars a gallon. I saved the old fluid-will filter it and use it in the Duece.

Hoefler

Lying works pretty good. I was trying to get a slight yes on buying a Duece back in late summer. Almost had it-then the news reported that the Iranians where going to put ships outside of our east coast. I used this to get a slightly firmer yes! You could use the latest news of N Korea developing something that could hit the states.
I dont have a fully developed story yet on-just how will we be protected by having a Duece-I have done a mix of multi fuel and the ability to carry firewood. It tends to get elaborate so practice before you try these methods.

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So do you have something ready for when you bring your 923 home in a week or so?? Better practice, your getting in pretty deep!

Hoefler

Scott
Flying by seat of pants. I will come up with something-ideas are welcome.
My euc is not cleared yet-hoping for convoy with you.
Pete

RonaldPottol

Power!

As to the more fun to drive the M36A3 vs the M35A2, 170hp vs 140 or so?

Twenty years ago I drove school buses with similar performance, about the same weight, 140 vs 210 hp, the 210 were dramatically more powerful, and much preferred by the drivers, it's more than just peak power, it is also about the shape of the power curve.

Someday, I hope to build an RV on an M36A3.

I corrected the power for an A3. Point still holds though.

Last edited:

Hoefler

The A3 seems quicker but feels heavier. Its a great truck that mates with engine power and transmission nicely. My thoughts are for a camper too. These are long trucks that give many opportunities for a camper. I picked up a shelter-14 foot long and put it in the bed. I will be making a camper out of it-a sort of portable one. The shelter will fit on a car trailer or in the bed of my 5-ton.

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing like a long bed. My buddy swears that he needs a bike to get from one end of the bed to the other on my M814. Plus the fact I have to wear two watches- the ass end is in a different time zone

Lex_Ordo

Hoefler,
What wheels are on the M36A3? Did they come on the truck from GL, or did you add them after you bought it?
I have been looking into a decent Military replacement wheel for my duece, but I want to keep it prototypical, and use stock military wheels. I think something along the lines of the new bead lock rim would be a nice update to the standard split rim.
I don't think the A3 wheels will work on my duce w/out buying all new tires.
My A2 has new 1100x20 's now, and I like them, so a stock militarybead lock replacement wheel that would accept the 1100 would be ideal.

Hoefler

M36A3 has standard A3 wheels. I changed them out to Hemtt with Goodyear 395's. I like you have a 71 Duece W/W-I plan on singling it out and putting my A3 wheels and Michelins on it. Given the tires are not as large as the big Goodyears, I think its going to give it a perfect look.
Pete

Lex_Ordo

Without having seen too many, I imagine then, that the A3 wheels are not split rim? Are they bead lock, similar to the Hemitt you are currently running? If I remember correctly, they are really designed for a 1400 tire.
Will they fit the more narrow 1100 tires? What about the mounting. Exact fit, no modification to the hub? Just align and screw down the lug nuts?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission.....:beer:
Every time I bring home something with wheels I watch the pasture to see what shows up with hooves.:shock:

A few weeks ago the Boss Lady snuck a new horse in on me.......it was the same color as one of the others and until I did a nose count she was in the clear.:roll:

Hoefler

the long one ran about 6 out the GL door. Have since added a set of tires-rims. She is a great truck. I drive it all the time and actually do a little work with it. She currently has mulch in her bed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks