• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m37 12 volt starter. Need help

stalker

I am still using the original 24 volt starter with 12 volt battery and charging system. I want to switch to a 12 volt starter, but my local parts stores can"t provide me with any info on a 12 volt starter. Can someone please tell me what 12 volt starter will fit my m43? Thanks/Tim

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, I can't tell you from experience what starter to buy from what application. I can say that a starter for any civilian truck or other application using the engine in the same era would probably fit. I am not sure if they were some 12 volt in that era, probably mostly 6 volt, but we have used 12volts on 6 volt starters with no problem on farm equipment. The replacement starter might not use the push rod engagement system; you might need to install a solenoid and push button switch to energize it.
These engines were also used in many applications from Massey Harris tractors (#44-6) and combines (#60) to cranes in the same time frame.
Regards Marti

m376x6

The flat head six was used in lots of different vehicles through the 30's into the 60's. I have had a few 12 starters that would bolt right up and work but have since scrapped them because I never used them. None as I recall with the exact lever operated by the foot peg. It would probably be easiest to get a 12 volt starter from a 60's 230 or other flat head etc that would need to use a solenoid and just leave the foot starter switch in for appearance sake. A trip through a junk yard that has lots of older vehicles would be fun, interesting, and maybe fruitful. Best of luck.

Regards,
M376X6

SasquatchSanta

One area to look out for is the number of teeth on the starter pinion.

I "think" the 230 starter has 11 teeth where the 251 has 12 teeth. I could be mistaken.

I'm told the 230 and 251 flywheels can be swapped.

Just something to be cautions about.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks