• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37/42 Map Table

txm37

I am currently restoring my truck as a M42 command truck and am looking for info on the map table. I've see a few pics but I am looking for the dimensions of the table it's self. I some where a while back but haven't been able to find it again. Does some one possibly have it or could someone measure theirs? I know there is a quality repo available but I prefer to make my own due to cost. Any info, pics and specs would be appreciated.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the map table you are looking for. The measurements are 36 inches long (when mounted in the truck, this measurement is from the front edge of the table to the rear edge of the table) and 27 inches wide (this is the measurement from left to right as mounted in the truck).

The table top is easy to fabricate (the military used 1/2 inch thick white oak plywood). All the metal brackets, legs and clamps are the hard parts.

Most of the cost of the reproduction table is in the metal parts. Lots of labor to make those parts.

If you are going to make your own, you need to find a table to disassemble and copy. Drawings and measurements would take quite awhile to do.

txm37

Thanks. Is there any way you could post some pics of the brackets that mount it? I've got a good pic of the leg and its hinge. I saw a pic some where of the other side and its brackets but I can't seem to find it again.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll look for the pictures of the map table I have at home. If I can't find the photos on my computer at home, I can take some more.

Are you looking for the bracket that holds the table to the side boards in the bed? Those brackets also hold the leg foot in the collapsed position. Let me know what details you are looking for and I'll try to post some photos of those parts.

Just a note: Despite what the manual shows, the table does not ATTACH to tailgate. You can rest it on the tailgate, but you can not attach it to the tailgate. I'm working on an attachment method but it will be a separate table assembly.

txm37

Awesome. I'm looking for pics of brackets that hold it to the side boards and any others that could help me fab up the parts. I think I can approximate the rest from pics. Thanks.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M-42 Map Table

Here are the pictures I have on my computer. If these are not sufficient to accomplish your fabrication, let me know and describe what you want to see and I'll take some more photos this weekend.

I think these are what you are looking for.

Let me know.

Storm 51

IMG_2986R.jpgIMG_3013R.jpgIMG_2998R.jpgIMG_2997R.jpgIMG_2991R.jpgIMG_2990R.jpgIMG_2989R.jpgIMG_2988R.jpgIMG_3031r.jpgIMG_3030R.jpg

txm37

Thank you! Those are perfect. The only other parts I wonder about is, is there a latch that goes on the truck to allow the table to be secured up or down? Also is there a wing nut to lock the adjustable legs (height)?

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll post some pictures of the leg assemblies tonight when I get home. That is where you will see the wing nuts for the leg height adjustment and the locking mechanism for the legs.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I already did, Bert. It was a little while ago, but I'll post them all again if you like (there are more of them, including the leg assemblies).

Should I post them in General or Builders Blog?

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pictures of the table legs. The latching mechanism is on the side of the table leg (like the old card table legs - 1950's stuff). The wing nuts to adjust the leg height and the curved clamp behind are shown in some of the photos.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Storm 51

IMG_2999R.jpgIMG_3010R.jpgIMG_3009R.jpgIMG_3006R.jpgIMG_3005R.jpgIMG_3004R.jpgIMG_3003R.jpgIMG_3001R.jpgIMG_3000R.jpgIMG_3011R.jpgIMG_3012R.jpgIMG_3002R.jpgIMG_3014R.jpg

txm37

Wow that's a nice map table. John at MWM makes nice parts. Thanks for all the shots they are perfect. I am hoping to fab my own up in my shop. I've just finished installing a vrc-47 radio set in my truck so now I'm down to the map table and light reel. If anyone needs pics of a VRC series radio install I'll post them up.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see a VRC-47 Installation. My truck has the GRC-7 Install (I've got the -3 & -5 too, just not in the truck).

txm37

Here are some pics of the radios installed. Sorry its taken me a while to post the pics. I have been getting that M56 in the back ground ready for paint. Weather permitting. I still need to secure the cables with clamps and run the power cable to the other side. I've decided to add a PRC-77 to the other side since all of the "in field" pics show something similar. When it stops raining I'll pull it outside and get some better pics.

Attachments

txm37

Thanks. I would have preferred to go with the older GRC radios as they are more period correct to when the trucks were new and look better to me. A couple things steered me towards the VRC's. First for me was that the VRC's were available locally and I was able to trade parts for almost every thing. Second was that I know a couple people locally that can repair them if ever needed plus their advise of the GRC's being a bit harder to keep working and work on (their opinion). That coupled with a M37 specific install manual and plenty of vintage in field pics of the VRC's it just seemed to be the ones to go with for the look I was going for. That said I would probably trade it all for a GRC-8.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks