• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Arctic/Hard Cab

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT on the Technical Manuals thread asked for photos of my M37 before disassembly. In the interest of keeping the threads organized, I've attached a few photos with the below comments.

Note the gas cab heater on the left fender. It is a South Wind 978-M. The pipe at the left corner window is the exhaust. The control box is mounted under the steering wheel. I have seen a TM which calls it to be mounted below the defrost distribution channel to the left of the steering wheel.

Forward of the passenger door is the engine gas heater. This unit is intended to heat the coolant with the exhaust routed to a metal box enclosing the crankcase which heats the oil. The control box is mounted below the dash directly in front of the passenger. The truck would have had insulated canvas covers for the hood and side panels.

There is also a 978-M mounted under the driver seat which heats the cargo compartment. Exhaust is by a flexible metal pipe routed under the bed to the rear axle. The cargo compartment comes with a heavily-insulated canvas cover.

The heaters are powered by gasoline fed from the main tank. There are various tees in the main fuel supply line.

The hard metal top has a sliding glass window similar to modern day pickup trucks. The top has a layer of insulation similar to the batts you might buy for your house. The top has an inner metal liner which contains the insulation.

I bought the truck when I was a high school senior in Anchorage, Alaska. Even at -25F, the gas heater kept the cab quite comfortable. The heat was immediate, and blower worked great. It was always satisfying to flip up the power switch, hear the whir of the electric motor pushing the air, then the gas firing. Shut down was merely turning off the switch. I recall the then motor running a minute or two to clear the lines with a bit of black smoke from the heater exhaust.

I was hoping to have been featured in the school newspaper as the "Heap of the Week," but that never happened. Maybe I should have chatted up the cub reporter. The truck wasn't much of a chick magnet, but that's OK. I still have the truck. And wifey doesn't seem to mind. Then again, she didn't find out about it until after we exchanged vows. The truck's existence was, of course, on a strict "need to know" basis. I didn't want to take a chance on messing up a good thing. 😊

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks