• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Barn Find

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Th technical manual TM 9-8030 shows that wire 12 goes from the ignition switch to the center post on the distributor (see pg 180 - at least on my copy). My truck had been converted to a hybrid 12/24 v system. The ignition was 12v and did not have the military distributor. The ignition coil was mounted externaly from the distributor. If I recall correctly, the #12 wire was connected to one of the terminals on the ignition coil, which I think then also connected to the distributor. (the engine is pulled from the truck and accessories removed at a friend's shop now, so I can't check.)
Thank you! Really appreciate this info! Other than the coil to distributor center wire, there’s only two wires to the coil. One (positive) goes to the ballast resistor and the other (negative) goes to the distributor. (See photo). I’ve got a 50-50 chance on getting it right the first time. Wish me luck!

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No luck so far. I’ve got the horn working properly. Also have the starter doing it’s thing. I haven’t tried to start it yet, there’s no power to the gauges for some reason. Got to swap the wires on the electric fuel pump switch. Got them backwards. Since there’s so many different things going on with the wiring, I picked up a fuse block. With the air horn, electric fuel pump, turn signals and the 12 volt wiring all needing fuses, it cleans up the wiring harness. More to come including more snow and cold winds. Glad for the heater I got for Christmas. 180,000 to 220,000 btu multi fuel heater that’ll use diesel, kerosene, JP-8 and Jet A.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: had to replace the temp gauge. The original 12 volt one was literally falling apart. It’s installed. I plugged all the gauges back in place and made sure the wiring was attached. Cleaned up the toots and supplies from around the front of the truck. Hooked up the battery and tested what I was pretty sure was working. The horn works as advertised, doesn’t need the power switched on to work. Checked the start button and fuel pump switch with the power off. Neither worked, which was supposed to happen. Turned on the powe, Both pump and starter worked. I went for the start and, with a little gas pedal action and she runs nice. Bad news, the new temp gauge says the engine is heating up too fast and getting too hot. The radiator and the upper hose are cold so that tells me thermostat. I’ll change that out payday...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update, the M-37 is going to be put on the back burner for now. Got to get a truck delivered including all its pieces parts. Once that’s done, the G506 is going to get put back into work. Not sure how much will get done. The parade and open house season is starting and I need to make sure the trucks I want to show are at the top of their game. More to come!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks