• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 barn find

dk8019

Guys,

I looked at a M37 today that's sitting outside behind a barn. Looks like a typical M37 with winch. The engine turns over and was running before it moved to it's current position. Engine looks good externally and appears all original. Drive train in good shape, frame in good shape. The cab is a bit of a mess. It was "restored" at some point and has rust through around the back of the cab, the lower parts of the doors etc, the usual places I suppose. Some were patched back in the day, but are showing through. The bed is in good condition, the bows looked decent as well. It has some remaining canvas that is dying. Tires look to be hold air still. Fuel tank in good shape from what I could tell crawling around underneath it. Shift levers seem to move well too.

I'm thinking of making the lady an offer. The cab I believe is beyond repair, although who knows. Is it worth it to mess with one with such a poor body? How much should I offer? She wants it gone as it's an eye sore.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know all I should about how to make appropriate comments.... Like how do you make the notorious " This post is worthless without pictures" Posts?

Dodge man

Don't know all I should about how to make appropriate comments.... Like how do you make the notorious " This post is worthless without pictures" Posts?
Just click on that image to the right of the text box. If the image isn't showing then click on more and it will pop up another box on the LH side of the screen with more images including the in-famous, nopics

Dodge man

dk,

The winch, it's drive train and unique bumper parts alone is worth $1000 to $1500 on E-greed. Other rare goodies include the stakes for the bed sides, good tailgates, the top bows, troop seats, the jump seat* and spare tire mount* and combat wheels. There are two types of tire mounts one goes in the front of the bed and the other mounts over the driver's door. I'm not sure what the first is worth but the second is worth a LOT!

It's unlikely the wood has survived on the jump and troop seats but the metal parts are what's important. The wood can be replaced but the metal bits are hard to find.

Pictures REALLY would help!

Go over to the G741 site and look at their M-37 registry. Then the next time that you go look at the truck try to get all the information and fill out a registry entry for it. It's important that we document as many of these trucks as we can even if they get destroyed, the information will help us understand how an when they were produced and how and when changes were made and a lot of other history. Here's a link to a registry entry that I just did for a truck that's for sale in Orlando Florida. M37 Registry Display

*If you look at the second photo in the registry you can see the bed mounted spare tire carrier and the metal remains of the jump seat.

PS; add usable gas tanks to the list of desired items!

98taco3

just my 2cents but i paid 2k even for mine without any rust and had it running within a few weeks by working on it here and there. Gas tank was useable and everything worked down to all the gauges. It was also complete. Id start somewhere around 800-1000 cause you can always go up, but not back down!

oh and nopics

dk8019

A few pictures coming shortly, although they aren't great. I'm guessing from the general comments, it's worth it to grab it like it is, and then decide.

I did note that it is missing the data plate, so no serial as far as I could tell. I'll run over again sometime soon with a better camera and shoot some more pictures.

Dodge man

It's a shame that the data plates are missing. But you can get the SN from the frame. Also get the title if they have it AND get a bill of sale even if you do get the title. My DMV wouldn't take just a signed over title and I had a fight with the seller to get a BOS after the sale.

M-37Bruce

Serial Number

Just ahead of the steering box on the drivers side, depending on the condition, you might need a stiff wire brush, if your lucky, maybe just a decent razor scraper. The #'s are about 3/4" tall. This should give you plenty of info.
I wouldn't go a dollar over $800.

ProductionDates

Dodge man

dodge man, can you post a few pictures of the mopars.
I'll have to go find some first. Most of them I sold ages ago and only have REAL photos of them so I'll have to go find them and scan them. I've been needing to scan my old photos anyway.

dk8019

Ok, I've looked her over, and I think it's too much for me to tackle. If anyone is interested, and thinks it's worth north of 1K, the lady who owns it will sell it to you. She can give you a bill of sale, no title, as the older gentlemen who had it doesn't have one. It was tagged in VA at some point.

ARMY TRUCK/JEEP