• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 cab size

horsinaround

Hey everyone, Iam looking into building another military truck. I did a m715 years ago and sold it to buy my house. Iam thinking of doing a m37. Question is how much room is there in the cab ? Iam 6.4 300 pnds. Iam going to look at a 51 m37 but the factory seats are gone as well as the battery box area because the owner was going to use different seats. So I cant sit in it to get a idea. Thank you in advance !

WhirlingSun

I just put my cab back together this weekend.

I'm 6' 185lbs. The cab is plenty roomy enough, even took a nap across the seats...

Then I put the steering wheel back in and that all changed. It's a tight squeeze now. Not terrible, but noticeably tighter squeeze getting in and out.

horsinaround

I posted on another forum as well and got a similar response saying they are tight. They dont appear to have much leg room. I dont have a big gut or anything. Iam just a very large guy. 40" waist 34" inseam but I have very broad shoulders and chest. I wear a size 56 jacket. I wouldnt assume someone makes a steering wheel adapter kit to put a smaller diameter wheel on ?

WhirlingSun

If you convert to power steering, then you can put a smaller steering wheel on there. It is also an opportunity to modify the "speering column" so that it is not a lance pointed at your chest.

horsinaround

Well the truck iam looking at already has one tons under it and is setup for 6bt and a nv4500. The steering is gonna have to be over the knuckle with power steering and hydro assist. But iam not gonna bother even looking at it if I cant get in the thing lol. Hmm decisions decisions...

bigugh20

At 6'7" the interference between the steering wheel and my left knee as i try to brake or clutch becomes problematic. I can and have done it, but if I were looking at a truck already set up for a transplant, I'd consider an automatic transmission instead of the manual. That and re-doing the brake system would make for plenty of room.

Tuko

Eh you could say that. It was a very nice stock truck he ripped apart, got halfway done with the build and lost motivation and there it sits. A shame to be honest with ya.

SteveKuhn

OK. I used the above posts and figured out what's up. My suggestion is to see if there's anyone closer who'd let you spend a bit of time climbing in and out and maybe going for a drive. There are plenty in New England on SS and I'm sure one is within a reasonable ride. If it still seems interesting, I'd take stock of what I really want to do with it, how much fiddling you really want to do, and shop accordingly. There's quite a range in your general area and some seem fairly priced for the work being saved - that is, unless you're looking for a custom project.

Steve

horsinaround

Well iam def looking to repower one along with one tons etc. Basically all I will be using out of a original truck is the sheetmetal and frame. Suspension,drivetrain and all will be changed. I did find one in my area to slide into and I think I can make it work for me. Iam going to look at one this weekend. Hopefully it is decent. If so it will be coming home with me lol. Thank you for the info guys.

SteveKuhn

Great! I hope that the one you choose will be more suited to custom work than to restoration. The good restoration base trucks get fewer each year.

Keep us updated on what you decide.

Steve