• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37, DMV & Me

rmvivas

I notice that a common thread in many posts about private ownership of former military vehicle is about ongoing disagreements or difficulties with various Departments Of Motor Vehicles (DMV's).

It's a shame because everyone is working towards the same goal: putting a motor vehicle safely on the road.

I notice this because I had my first military vehicle/DMV encounter today.

Let me start by saying that NO ONE expects to have a good time at DMV. A trip to the DMV is much like a trip to ex-in laws house for Thanksgiving so the kids can grandpa and grandma; it's the right thing to do , it's not going to be fun and there won't be enough booze.

The DMV here in podunkville is nowhere near as bad as the Chinese Fire Drill that is New York City (NYC) DMV; -that's- just unorganized chaos with acres of shiny Formica.

No, here in Podunkville you should be able to get it done in 5 minutes, maybe 10 if there is a line.

One hour and twenty five minutes. The only reason it went as well as it did was that I made my manners to the County Clerk when I came in (we know each other very casually) and she walked the paperwork through stuff that otherwise would have killed it.

For everyone's general store of knowledge, if you try to register a 1952 Dodge M37 in New York State (NYS), the state will not issue you a title but instead a transferable registration.

Everything generally went ok, but they insisted on registering the vehicle as Commercial because it was over 5,500 pounds. The Technical Manual (TM) states that the vehicle without winch should weigh 5, 683 pounds (I think). I'm told the thing to do is register the vehicles as commercial, take it home and strip enough heavy stuff off it to get the weight down, then drive it to a certified scale and if it's under 5,500 get a stamped receipt, head back to DMV and they will re-register as a passenger vehicle.

So now I have to get it weighed to see what my starting weight is and then see what I can temporarily remove. The front bumper/winch and rear bumper (both non-original add-ons) would get me where I need to be I think but upon close examination they are welded on and I'm not a welding guy. I figure I can remove the windshield and the doors and that should be a step in the right direction.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
more than 5500lbs is commercial? So an F-250 has to be commercial? or even an F-150 for that matter. That is retarded as can be.

Our DMV here is the same way, it is alot like going back to Mayberry.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like your on the right track. There is more then one way, to skin a cat. Many years ago, I bought a M211, and had to drop a bunch of weight, for the same reason. I had everything stripped: duals, winch, bumper, doors, seats, etc.... finially, I just took the bed off. Had I done that in the first place, it would have been simpler. The bed isn't that much trouble, so it might be a starting place.

rmvivas

It sounds like your on the right track. There is more then one way, to skin a cat. Many years ago, I bought a M211, and had to drop a bunch of weight, for the same reason. I had everything stripped: duals, winch, bumper, doors, seats, etc.... finially, I just took the bed off. Had I done that in the first place, it would have been simpler. The bed isn't that much trouble, so it might be a starting place.
Just started thinking about that this morning. Need to find out whats involved in taking it off and, more importantly, getting it back on!

L1A1

Welcome to the site (if no one has already greeted you :wink:) Taking the bed off an M37 isn't really that difficult (I've done it). Mostly you're removing the six (or more?) mounting bolts in the bed floor, unbolting the gas tank filler neck as it is attached to both the tank & bed. With the help of a wrecker or some hardy friends it should lift straight off*. I took mine completely apart while it was still on the truck (removed the sides first and the floor itself, last). Here is a site that is a clearing house for all things M37 (G741). Worth joining if you're not already a member; www.g741.org

Matt

* Check your tail lights before you remove the bed as I can't remember if they are attached to the frame or underside of the bed's rear cross member.

Mike_L

Yep, Matt summarized it nicely. The tail lights are on the frame. Don't forget to check if you have a radio power cable coming out the back of the cab to the box, that will need disconnected. That is a good time to clean the frame up while the box is off. Easier to repair wiring (and add turn signal wires if you want), change metal lines out, touch up paint, check your gas tank for problems,...etc.

G741.org is a good site for pure, 100% M37 though a lot of us there are on here too.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with a commercial plate? I have them on my pickup trucks. Always have.

Before the advent of 4 door/up to 6 passengers, in pickup trucks, NY always registered pickups as commercial.

Why not do Historic, if it's a toy?

rednckii

dont feel bad ny gave me a transferrable registration for my 54 willys also. As far as commercial it dont mean a thing in ny ust a truck that all.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had some issues the first time I went to the DMV so I told them I would come back when I resolved their issue - this DMV was the one closest one to my house, so I chose one a little further away - they were very easy to deal with and did not require all sorts of silly things, I took a number, but just sat and chatted with one of the guards (I'm a retired gunsmith) and then my number came up and got both my trucks registered all in under one hour. and I get to just run bumper numbers, no plates for $10 a year... and no inspection.

God I love this state.

Kgood

Wow i feel lucky now. We live in wv. And had to fight them tooth and nail just to prove that it never had a title. After al the paperwork was done it only cost 65.00 to get it registered and a title produced.gotta love it though, 55mph screaming. Great to look at, sucks if your behind us. :D

MSG Rusty

nice but if you realy want to pay thru the nose go to RI. you pay the sales tax based on blue book value.
Blue book for a 52 m37 is $6,000. dosent matter how bad the shape it's in.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why have you registered the vehicle as commerical ? NY DMV will let you registered THAT vehicle as a HX , $ 28 .00 a year and no weight , I have a 53 M37 and a M35A3 both registered as HX , easy to do it that way . plus insurrance is a LOT cheaper RTK:beer:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HX is DMV talk for a historical vehicles as defined by NYS DMV , A vehicle 25 years or older , can obtain a HX plate for your vehicle , which is a good thing , along with cheap insurance . One of the FEW things that is good with NYS DMV . Also vehicles 1973 and newer are TITLE vehicles , while 1972 and older vehicles get a tranferable registration . RTK:beer:

MSG Rusty

K, we have the same thing here in ri only we call them antique plates. Only problem with them is the restrictions of when you are allowed BY LAW to drive them as well as where.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are NO restrictions on HX plates in NYS , as long as the vehicle passes a basic safety inspection , NO EMISSION REQUIREMENT , you are good to go , RTK:beer:

WhirlingSun

My M-37 was saved from becoming razor blades. Too far gone to call it a restoration, I'm in the process of it's resurrection. Just this weekend I put the newly un-dead cargo box back on.

It isn't real heavy... I'd guess about 400 pounds. The tailgate is the heaviest individual piece. We lifted it off with a bulldozer and I reassembled it on the chassis. Don't lose the six rubber pads, they are expensive. The 2 fatter ones go on the tool box crossmember.

I have had a "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it" attitude about Titling, registering and inspecting this Mad Max dumpster when I'm done with it. I'm really happy to hear I can get HX plates and still be allowed to USE the truck.

The problem with commercial plates is if I bring the truck down to the city I'll get tickets for not having the company name and address on the door in 2" tall letters. I was looking for a ratty old camper to stuff in there temporarily to try and avoid commercial plates.

So, just so I am clear on this:

I can get the DMV to issue a transferable registration for the truck without any other papers on the thing at all? Like I am pretty sure I don't even have a receipt for the m-37 shaped rust object that was delivered to me.

I can register it historical and I do not need it to be in a glass case/ garage/ storage container.

I do not have to use my dewalt drill on the odometer to make sure I never use up my allotted miles?

And most importantly, I won't have to roll a stripped down chariot onto the scale to get these plates?

That sounds like a home run then.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need a old registration or bill of sale from the former owner . There is a DMV form you can use if you do not have a transferable registration , go to the NYSDMV website www.nysdmv.com for more info , go to the forms section , I beleive it is a MV50.1 plus you need a mv 44 , and your insurance card and of course bring money , DMV likes your money rtk:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks