• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Driveability

86M10086.2L

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a M37 for a while now. I want another military vehicle, but more importantly one that looks like a military vehicle. Too many people confuse my M1008 with a hunting truck. I'd get a Duece but I don't have the room for one. Not a big fan of the M715 or little Jeeps/M151, so the next step is the M37. Before I really start looking I want to find out how driveable these trucks really are. Because I like driving my trucks, often and many times long distances. How do these trucks fair with the basics? Top speed, fuel consumption, reliability, parts availability? I want something that can handle driving on the highway to work every once in a while so 50-55 mph is a must. And something that I can take to different rallies and MV events on the east coast and the mid west. I'm sure this is not a daily driver canidate but how hard or much can they reasonably be driven in the real world? And plese be honest, I'm sure if you were dedicated enough you could do what I want with a Sherman tank but no one in their right mind would or could do it. So be realistic with your responses. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mhassett

Make sure all lights work.
Install seat belts.
Truck is hard to stop due to brakes.
Slow, watch out for traffic.
Slow acceleration.
mhassett

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 5.83 (sorry for being off 5/100ths) gears your top speed is going to run about 45mph so if you want hiway speeds you're going to need to change those out.

Depending on the year it may come with turn signals then again it may not.

The wiring is fairly easy to work on so if you're having a light problem it shouldn't be hard to fix.

Look for about 8MPG -hiway, in town, up hill, down hill, etc.

Parts are very abundant including many reman and aftermarket parts and an amazing amount of NOS stuff. Prices are all over the board depending on what you get. An example is a full wiring harness - you can get a reproduction American harness for around $750 or a surplus Greek harness for around $75. If you're going for a 100 point restoration you want the American one that is all black wiring with the aluminum numbered collars. If you're just looking to drive it get the Greek harness that is color coded wiring without the collars.

Options will dictate the price. I would suggest looking for one with a winch first and then if it doesn't have a heater or fording kit you can add those later. It's a lot easier putting a heater in than adding a winch.

Hope that helps. I'm having a blast with mine (actually my wife's but she lets me play with it).

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G

Greensteel37

Reasonable max speed is 50mph, gas mileage...roughly 6mpg or so. These engines are not balanced like modern units so there is a rpm limit.

I'm 6'3" and it is a little cramped behind the wheel, but nothing like the sardine can 'esque WWII, M38A1 or 151 jeeps.

I have always wanted a jeep and never thought twice about it. Then I got behind the wheel of my buddy's 38A1.....no go. I can't move my legs to work the pedals.

So I have a 37! My next buy will probably be a duce, most likely a 211 or 135 since I like the look of them.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't have a M37 but my WC51 is somewhat simialar. These old dodges are slow. Hot in the Summer Cold in the Winter. The only MV that I know that gets OK MPG would be the 1009. All the rest are arond 10mpg or less including the Jeeps

Did I mention thery were slow:razz:?

You could go with one built by M series rebuild. Alot of change but it would do what your looking for.

A HMMWV would be a good choice also. I had a 4l80e with overdrive in my M998. would make 65 on the highway all day long with no problems.

vtdeucedriver

5.88?????? Try 5.83 and yes you will be killing the engine at 55 mph!! There are aftermarket gear sets for 4.89 and I hear about lots of compliments about how it brings the RPM down. There is a forum for the M37. Highly recommend it.

Save your pennies and find a nice one, if you dont, parts will nickle and dime you for a long time. I am lucky, I bought most of my parts in the early 90's when the stuff was still cheap!

m376x6

How do these trucks fair with the basics? Top speed, fuel consumption, reliability, parts availability? I want something that can handle driving on the highway to work every once in a while so 50-55 mph is a must. And something that I can take to different rallies and MV events on the east coast and the mid west. I'm sure this is not a daily driver canidate but how hard or much can they reasonably be driven in the real world?

Top speed stock is usually 50 mph. Fuel consumption is between 6 and 8 mpg stock. Reliabilty is dependant on the actual condition. Going through your truck yourself, if you're skilled, is fun and relatively inexpensive. Having someone do it professionally is expensive and even more expensive. Parts availability is not an issue, however, some parts and accessories are becoming very high priced. Winch setups complete are over $1,500 now for components in good shape. Brakes, if properly rebuilt and maintained, are very satisfactory. If you're not opposed to modifying the truck, there are a world of options. Engine conversions, disc brake conversions, and the list goes on and on. I have run both 9.00-20 and 11.00-16 tires (currently both of mine are on 11.00-16's) and have really nice driveability with them. Some folks have run 9.00-20's with a stock truck and have no problem getting to 60 mph and with good brakes have no problem stopping. They are at sea level so the engine is running at top horsepower. IMH(humble)O, the M37 is the best all around vehicle available today, and yesterday. I've owned Jeeps (including M715's), many 2 1/2 Deuces, 5 Tons in both 6X6 and 8X8, and a lot of other military stuff but have always had the M37 suit me the best. I found by custom re-upholstering the drivers seat back and bottom I can get the best fit for me in the trucks. I'm 6'4". A thinner seat back can give you a couple of inches more leg room without sacrificing comfort. Proper seat bottom cushion thickness and density can optimize your field of view out the windshield. Both my current trucks (I've owned 28 M37/M43 trucks) run V8's. The 1965 M37B1 4X4 runs a Dodge 318 V8 mated to a stock M37 later style transmission (military NP420) so I can use the stock PTO and winch setup. The 1963 M37 6X6 I built uses a Dodge 360 V8, again with stock B1 series transmission. Both trucks have power steering and an engine driven electrically clutched air compressor. The 6X6 I have recently converted to 12 volts and plan on doing the same to the 4X4 when I get the chance. I would recommend getting a later B1 series, late fifties up through 1968. And if your plan is for a winch, find your truck with one already installed. That'll save some headaches later on.

Regards,
M376X6

WPNS421

We have an refurbished M37 and a project in waiting m37. You can do pretty well anything you want with an M37, we know someone who installed a small block chevy engine and changed the rear diff gearing. Befoore buying consider the price of a complete ready to go and a project truck. When we rebuilt our M37 we paid $900 for the M37 and a M43 ambulance with no engine, we spent over $6000 rebuilding the M37. It was our first MV, now I would rather spend more on the purchase and less time on refurbishing. Better to spend your time driving it than repairing it

badgmc56

I had a 53 M-37 and drove it daily for 5 years and it never let me down. The guys have pretty much covered most of your options already so I wont repeat them. The bottom line is it is a very dependable vehicle and you will have a blast with it. WPNS421 is right about spending a little more money on something someone has done all the major stuff to and then you can tweak it the way you want it.

zak

If you plan on making a stock one a daily driver be prepared to do planed scheduled maintance, like brake shoe adjustments just for one. Be prepared for a top speed of 50 and a poor turning radius. And a noisey ride. But also be prepared to get the stares and envy of most every driver that passes you! Kids will love it, dads will dream and wives will slap the dads back into her reality. Show them who is the road king!

Attachments

86M10086.2L

Thanks guys, it's always nice to get real world accounts of what its like driving these vehicles. Everybody I know of course has "driven one", but it was "once" in the 60's when gas was cheap and they thought the truck could do 60 etc....... Have to do some thinking on this one. I have roughly a 90 mile round trip for work so that might make it alittle expensive taking the truck on a regular basis. But still the truck is an attractive option. I would deffinately try to get one with a winch, and I would probably buy one 80-90 finished. I enjoy working on my vehicles but driving them is much nicer.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M37 is an "Off Road" vehicle, with some highway capability. 4x4's today, are the reverse of that! Its design, is 50+ years old and gas was less then $.20/gallon then. If you keep that in mind, its a super vehicle. I have had mine since about 1971. Its still my service truck, on the ranch.

One thing not really mentioned..... 50MPH is of course tops, but if you hit some hills, it will fade. That is especially true, if you put taller gearing in it.

Lee in Alaska

Greensteel37

I found by custom re-upholstering the drivers seat back and bottom I can get the best fit for me in the trucks. I'm 6'4". A thinner seat back can give you a couple of inches more leg room without sacrificing comfort. Proper seat bottom cushion thickness and density can optimize your field of view out the windshield.
Regards,
M376X6

This is what I plan to do to mine. I recently got to, very briefly, drive a m37 for the first time (mine hasn't been mobile since I got it) and the stock cushions were too thick.

Greensteel37

Does it run? Is it complete? Winch or no winch?

I know of a running truck a few miles from my house which needs a paint job and has a dent or two and the guy wants $2500 for it.

joesco

Had 2 M37's and much prefer the M35 (shortened) now! When I get out I drive Brutus everywhere!

You will need highway gearing and a 5 speed transmission to do your once per month commute and while you are at it re-power it to a cummings diesel. So if you are going to do any kind of serious driving in the M37, plan on doing a re-power first and dumping $10k into the truck. Otherwise, just use it for parades and shows or you will blew the engine and overheat the trans and xtranfer case!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks