• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 engine rebuild initial start with oil leak

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here's kind of a nasty problem on a newly-rebuilt engine. The account below points up a number of issues--among them the crimes of assumptions and impersonations.

After installing the engine and all of the related plumbing (this is an original equipment restoration), I thought it'd be a good idea to start and run the engine in frame before installing the cab and other body parts. Rather than just a test of the engine on a stand, this test would check all of the components from the fuel tank forward.

Upon a successful start and run, the engine ran great. We discovered a number of minor leaks; most of them were related to loose fittings or clamps which we easily rectified. There was a fuel leak at the left frame rail coupling. One of the oil hoses to the filter leaked at the crimped fitting--no apparent way to repair, so the vendor is sending a replacement. Radiator hoses were not clamped tight enough--I'm using the original-like two wire clamps that need to be really cranked down. Fuel supply line at carburetor seeped fuel which resolved with tightening. All in all, this was an effective way to check and fix the entire engine assembly before fenders and cab made it difficult to identify and repair problems.

Most of the problems manifested right away as oil and coolant began circulating. But we didn't discover a particular oil leak until the engine had been running a while. This leak was a constant drip below the timing chain cover. It was not a stream of oil, but just a steady drip--about one per second.

Was the main bearing seal leaking? Unlikely, because the seal was new, and I assisted (maybe that was it :rolleyes:) a qualified and experience machinist with the assembly. We were quite diligent with this aspect.

How about the oil pan itself? The oil pan bolts were not loose, but I tightened them all about a turn. Oil did not appear to be running forward to the leak area.

Was the timing cover properly fastened? Inspection revealed that I had missed installation of three cap screws and nuts. There are 8 screws which fasten to the block. The other threw are approximately at the 10 o'clock position and are screws and nuts. While timing cover did not appear to be leaking from this area, I installed the missing fasteners, and restarted the engine. The oil leak reappeared with no improvement.

After studying the exploded view in the Ord 9, I began to suspect that we missed the installation of a paper gasket which fits in front of the timing cover seal though which the hub passes. We couldn't recall installing this little gasket, but my machinist friend was very careful to use sealant at every potential leak area. Still....

Something else? It was impossible to tell.

So, the only option left was a partial tear down to examine the front of the engine including the timing cover seal. This required draining and removal of the radiator, fan, and belts (this is a 100 amp system with 4 belts) cranking jaw and hub. After removing the front support bolts and loosening the rear support bolts, I used an engine hoist and the engine lifting shackle to raise the engine enough to clear the studs at the front rubber cushion which in turn allowed removal of the front engine support. This exposed the front of the engine.

There did not appear to be any oil leaking from the timing cover seal itself. I couldn't see the edges of a paper gasket, but the seal itself was dry.

Same with the timing cover itself-no apparent leak. The screws on the timing cover were not loose, though I did tighten all of them about a turn.

Still, there had been a leak while the engine was running, albeit fairly small. There was no active leak with the engine static.

Then I saw a small plug in an oil journal on the left side of the engine (to the right of the timing cover as you look at it in the photo).
IMG_6293.jpg
Note that the plug is at the return line (the vertical dark green metal line at the right side of the plug) to the oil (filter.

The plug was recessed and at first glance did not appear to be a problem. A closer look with the shop light revealed that a very small trickle of oil had been running from the plug along the timing cover down to the bottom.

Was this the problem? I could not find anything in the Ord 9 or other manuals which referenced this plug.

I removed the plug, and it appeared to be OK. So I wrapped it in teflon tape and reinstalled. While tightening, the teflon tape pushed out the front. That was strange and unexpected. What is going on?

Fortunately, I had an old engine block that I could examine. A plug was present, but it was different in that about three threads were exposed. For many reasons, I was confident that this plug had never been disturbed since the engine was built. Before I took a torch to remove this rusty plug, I found an identical one in my leftover plugs and fittings box.

I again removed the suspect plug and placed it beside the other plug.
IMG_6294.jpg
Well, this is interesting. I am not familiar with this style plug with the cone shape, but since my ignorance of things mechanical expands at the same rate of my experience, I am not surprised.

I screwed the replacement plug into the hole, and it appeared to fit like it should.

So, what's up now? Time to unholster the caliper. Here's what I found:
IMG_6297.jpg
Installed plug: 39/64 in diameter.

IMG_6296.jpg
Replacement plug: 42/64 in diameter.

That cone-shaped plug which was under indictment was now faced with overwhelming evidence of its crime: Guilty of impersonating an original. It was too small to do the job.

I installed the larger replacement plug using oil-resistant teflon tape (probably not necessary, but I felt the "belt and suspenders" approach might minimize the likelihood of having to go through this again.
IMG_6298.jpg

After rechecking all of the exposed fasteners, I reassembled the front of the engine including radiator and other components (like the alternator) that I had to move.

With bated breath, I started the engine and ran it for several minutes.

No leak!

While I didn't much like the set back of having to take the front of the engine apart, I'm glad that I was able to identify the problem.

Lessons learned:

--All fittings should be referenced against the manuals. In this case, I couldn't find a reference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
--Test fit all fasteners by hand before final installation. In this case, the plug seemed to fit just right, but in fact went in a little too easily and ended up too deep in the hole. That should have been a clue. With more than one plug in the box, it would have taken only seconds to compare measurements.
--The bright, shiny part isn't necessarily a better one than the original take-out.
--Don't assume anything--especially with a part that will be hidden behind something that will be time-consuming to remove. The installed plug was only 3/64 less in diameter than the correct one, but that was more than enough to allow oil to seep past the threads when the engine was under pressure.
--Test all components before final assembly. Because I "knew" I had a good engine and was careful with all aspects of the build, I was tempted to begin installing cab and body parts before running and testing the engine. Had I done so in this case, I would either have had to live with a steady leak or spend additional hours and hours troubleshooting.
--Take a deep breath, and analyze your proposed course of action while accounting for unknowns. In this case, I probably did not have to remove the hub and pulley, but I thought that I was going after the timing chain cover seal. While I did tighten the cover fasteners, I could have done so without the additional work of removing he hub and pulley. I could have gotten to the fasteners anyway. They existence of an incorrect plug was not immediately apparent.

The crime of assumptions? The guilty party (me) was sentenced to time served with probation conditioned upon good behavior.

And the incorrect plug? After conviction beyond a reasonable doubt, the plug was spared execution. The plug's role in this account is a mitigating factor. The victim impact statement to the contrary, the plug was given a life sentence in a dreary, lightless cardboard box with its fellow miscreants. Can it be rehabilitated? Probably not, but there's always a chance. ;)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, here's kind of a nasty problem on a newly-rebuilt engine. The account below points up a number of issues--among them the crimes of assumptions and impersonations.

After installing the engine and all of the related plumbing (this is an original equipment restoration), I thought it'd be a good idea to start and run the engine in frame before installing the cab and other body parts. Rather than just a test of the engine on a stand, this test would check all of the components from the fuel tank forward.

Upon a successful start and run, the engine ran great. We discovered a number of minor leaks; most of them were related to loose fittings or clamps which we easily rectified. There was a fuel leak at the left frame rail coupling. One of the oil hoses to the filter leaked at the crimped fitting--no apparent way to repair, so the vendor is sending a replacement. Radiator hoses were not clamped tight enough--I'm using the original-like two wire clamps that need to be really cranked down. Fuel supply line at carburetor seeped fuel which resolved with tightening. All in all, this was an effective way to check and fix the entire engine assembly before fenders and cab made it difficult to identify and repair problems.

Most of the problems manifested right away as oil and coolant began circulating. But we didn't discover a particular oil leak until the engine had been running a while. This leak was a constant drip below the timing chain cover. It was not a stream of oil, but just a steady drip--about one per second.

Was the main bearing seal leaking? Unlikely, because the seal was new, and I assisted (maybe that was it :rolleyes:) a qualified and experience machinist with the assembly. We were quite diligent with this aspect.

How about the oil pan itself? The oil pan bolts were not loose, but I tightened them all about a turn. Oil did not appear to be running forward to the leak area.

Was the timing cover properly fastened? Inspection revealed that I had missed installation of three cap screws and nuts. There are 8 screws which fasten to the block. The other threw are approximately at the 10 o'clock position and are screws and nuts. While timing cover did not appear to be leaking from this area, I installed the missing fasteners, and restarted the engine. The oil leak reappeared with no improvement.

After studying the exploded view in the Ord 9, I began to suspect that we missed the installation of a paper gasket which fits in front of the timing cover seal though which the hub passes. We couldn't recall installing this little gasket, but my machinist friend was very careful to use sealant at every potential leak area. Still....

Something else? It was impossible to tell.

So, the only option left was a partial tear down to examine the front of the engine including the timing cover seal. This required draining and removal of the radiator, fan, and belts (this is a 100 amp system with 4 belts) cranking jaw and hub. After removing the front support bolts and loosening the rear support bolts, I used an engine hoist and the engine lifting shackle to raise the engine enough to clear the studs at the front rubber cushion which in turn allowed removal of the front engine support. This exposed the front of the engine.

There did not appear to be any oil leaking from the timing cover seal itself. I couldn't see the edges of a paper gasket, but the seal itself was dry.

Same with the timing cover itself-no apparent leak. The screws on the timing cover were not loose, though I did tighten all of them about a turn.

Still, there had been a leak while the engine was running, albeit fairly small. There was no active leak with the engine static.

Then I saw a small plug in an oil journal on the left side of the engine (to the right of the timing cover as you look at it in the photo).
View attachment 920876
Note that the plug is at the return line (the vertical dark green metal line at the right side of the plug) to the oil (filter.

The plug was recessed and at first glance did not appear to be a problem. A closer look with the shop light revealed that a very small trickle of oil had been running from the plug along the timing cover down to the bottom.

Was this the problem? I could not find anything in the Ord 9 or other manuals which referenced this plug.

I removed the plug, and it appeared to be OK. So I wrapped it in teflon tape and reinstalled. While tightening, the teflon tape pushed out the front. That was strange and unexpected. What is going on?

Fortunately, I had an old engine block that I could examine. A plug was present, but it was different in that about three threads were exposed. For many reasons, I was confident that this plug had never been disturbed since the engine was built. Before I took a torch to remove this rusty plug, I found an identical one in my leftover plugs and fittings box.

I again removed the suspect plug and placed it beside the other plug.
View attachment 920877
Well, this is interesting. I am not familiar with this style plug with the cone shape, but since my ignorance of things mechanical expands at the same rate of my experience, I am not surprised.

I screwed the replacement plug into the hole, and it appeared to fit like it should.

So, what's up now? Time to unholster the caliper. Here's what I found:
View attachment 920878
Installed plug: 39/64 in diameter.

View attachment 920879
Replacement plug: 42/64 in diameter.

That cone-shaped plug which was under indictment was now faced with overwhelming evidence of its crime: Guilty of impersonating an original. It was too small to do the job.

I installed the larger replacement plug using oil-resistant teflon tape (probably not necessary, but I felt the "belt and suspenders" approach might minimize the likelihood of having to go through this again.
View attachment 920880

After rechecking all of the exposed fasteners, I reassembled the front of the engine including radiator and other components (like the alternator) that I had to move.

With bated breath, I started the engine and ran it for several minutes.

No leak!

While I didn't much like the set back of having to take the front of the engine apart, I'm glad that I was able to identify the problem.

Lessons learned:

--All fittings should be referenced against the manuals. In this case, I couldn't find a reference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
--Test fit all fasteners by hand before final installation. In this case, the plug seemed to fit just right, but in fact went in a little too easily and ended up too deep in the hole. That should have been a clue. With more than one plug in the box, it would have taken only seconds to compare measurements.
--The bright, shiny part isn't necessarily a better one than the original take-out.
--Don't assume anything--especially with a part that will be hidden behind something that will be time-consuming to remove. The installed plug was only 3/64 less in diameter than the correct one, but that was more than enough to allow oil to seep past the threads when the engine was under pressure.
--Test all components before final assembly. Because I "knew" I had a good engine and was careful with all aspects of the build, I was tempted to begin installing cab and body parts before running and testing the engine. Had I done so in this case, I would either have had to live with a steady leak or spend additional hours and hours troubleshooting.
--Take a deep breath, and analyze your proposed course of action while accounting for unknowns. In this case, I probably did not have to remove the hub and pulley, but I thought that I was going after the timing chain cover seal. While I did tighten the cover fasteners, I could have done so without the additional work of removing he hub and pulley. I could have gotten to the fasteners anyway. They existence of an incorrect plug was not immediately apparent.

The crime of assumptions? The guilty party (me) was sentenced to time served with probation conditioned upon good behavior.

And the incorrect plug? After conviction beyond a reasonable doubt, the plug was spared execution. The plug's role in this account is a mitigating factor. The victim impact statement to the contrary, the plug was given a life sentence in a dreary, lightless cardboard box with its fellow miscreants. Can it be rehabilitated? Probably not, but there's always a chance. ;)
Nicely written description of and discovery of the problem!

I almost wonder if the "working plug" was a pipe thread and the "used shiny plug" was a straight thread... Glad you managed to find the problem.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished my M43 engine rebuild install (9 miles on the new engine). I have the same problem you have described to a tee! So, I am going to s=check on that plug tomorrow and see if it is the cause of my leak. I had the engine rebuild done by a professional machine shop. The did the block, the head, oil pump, oil pan, timing chain, I assembled the rest of the engine and did not know of this plug's existence.

A question...does this plug install on the front of the block next to the timing cover (to the right) when looking at it form the front of the engine? I will check and see if this plug is my problem as well, and will let you know. Thank you very much for posting this as it is an issue many would have had no idea about...including me.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all for your kind remarks.

As to Mr. Torisco's question: " A question...does this plug install on the front of the block next to the timing cover (to the right) when looking at it form the front of the engine?"

The answer is yes.

Before you get in too deep (assuming that you installed some kind of plug), check the secureness of the flare fitting on the metal oil filter return line at the left front of the engine below the generator (to the right and below the plug in the photos). If that fitting is leaking, it will likely give you the same symptoms of an ill-fitting or loose plug on the block as described above.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just getting ready to check out my leak and will definitely look at the added oil line you have described. Really appreciate your assistance and the fact that you posted a oil leak resolution that is not found in the manuals or elsewhere.

Will let you know about my oil leak after today's excursion into the removal of the radiator etc.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...it was not the oil galley plug that was leaking. I found that the lowest bolt on the timing chain cover had fouled threads and would not tighten. It was in fact, loose at best. I re-tapped the hole threads and tried the equivalent new bolt which tightened down like the rest of the timing cover bolts.

The leak only showed up at higher RPM (increased oil pressure in the system). I HATE leaks of any kind! Specially seals, cylinders, and oil retaining covers.

My best wishes to all the O.D. mechanics trying to find the always elusive leak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks