• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 exhaust temp above 500 degrees

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am posting this for a friend. He has recently acquired and put together a fully restored M37. The motor has been completely rebuilt and everything on this truck mechanically looks brand new. He started the truck the other day oil presser was good. Now he told me that the temp was at 220 degrees. Now that seemed high to me. He has an exhaust tempt gauge. the gauge was reading 500+ degrees. he shut the truck off to stop any damage to the motor. he said when he started the truck that the exhaust was white but when it reached the temp of 500+ the exhaust was dark

He thinks that it might be getting to much fuel.

Now for me with not knowing the running temp of the M37 and in combination that everything on this truck is brand new. I would not want to make a assessment until I know all the facts.

So:
First question what is the running temp of a M37
Second would poor ventilation to through the carb cause for a increase heat temp
Third the spark plugs not having the correct gap?
Fourth the type of fuel used
Fifth quest would what about the timing advance or retard create this issue.
Final is this even a issue?

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thermostat should be a 180* F Stant PN 13928. Depending on ambient air temp I have seen operating temperatures of 200* F. They do reference a 160* F thermostat also but I have seen this cause allot of condensation in the crankcase from not letting the engine get warm enough to burn it off. (As in milky residue on the underside or the Oil filler cap)

I would get the idle speed set to 600 - 650 RPM to start, If you have a vacuum gauge available it would be a good time to adjust your idle mixture screw for maximum vacuum, since your adjusting your idle speed.

Forget the 2* After TDC that the service manual tells you, Optimum setting is 4* Before TDC. This means you reference the 4* mark, to the Right of DC as it's rotating clockwise.

The exhaust temperature will vary greatly depending on the location of the pyrometer probe.

I would also check block temperature from front to back with an Infrared Pyrometer. If the rear of the block is greatly hotter than the front of the block I would suspect a missing or plugged water distribution tube.

Have your buddy check out the G741.Org site for allot more information about the M37 and it variants.

Bert

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, replace the thermostat then see how it goes.
500 degrees exhaust temp for a gas motor is no problem; you are about half way there, and yes it varies where you check it.
The water distribution tube in these motors is critical. If all other systems in the cooling system are in good order, the motor needs to be checked for the tube in place and in good shape. The suggestion about the temp check along the block front to rear will help tell you about this. Cooler in front than at the rear will show it up.
Regards Martin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks