• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 fist aid kit

jepsonjj

Well, I need more help. I purchased a first aid kit that I thought was correct for my early M37. It won't fit. Does anyone have pictures or dimensions of the first aid kit that was mounted in early M37's on the passengers side seat bottom? The first aid kit I bought keeps the door from closing, and the strap is too short to fit around it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I understand you want to be period correct , I do too. I wouldnt want to not have the correct kit in my M37.
Post a picture of what you have, I have a Vietnam military one and mine fits so im curious to see what you have.
And you can always toss a little kit in your glove compartment in case for a real emergency. -Jay

Bill W

The WWII steel first aid kit is correct for early M-37's ( 1951-54 )
I'm told the aluminum (shouldered lid) 1st aid box that came out around 1957 is correct for the B1's, however I had both and the aluminum one would hit the door when I closed it
Here a pic of the WWII one that was on my 37

Attachments

Last edited:

jepsonjj

Thanks everyone. I believe the one I bought is the shouldered unit Bill W spoke about. I'll try to find a flat one.

At the risk of sounding computer stupid, I could use a little more help. What is the procedure for posting pictures on this forum? There have been a couple of times I should have posted a picture. I couldn't think of a better group to ask for help.

Thanks,

Joe

Mark@Sea

I'd like to put a first aid kit there as well... but where it should mount I have 3 holes. Can someone post a photo of the mount (and/or a link to a source for same)?

Bill W

The three holes are for the little rubber bumpers that the kit rests against ( they're the same as the M-151 hood rest bumpers )
The strap is suppose to be held with footman loops but I cheated and just riveted my strap to the side of the seat riser

Last edited:

CGarbee

My first aid kit was sold as "French Surplus" at Aberdeen (and a few on-line dealers also had them at the time) but it was the saem dimensionally as the one that BillW had. A couple of new stickers from Rick Larsen and you can't tell it from an original US one... I then filled it with the contents of a first aid kit that I picked up at Northern Tool one day (clear plastic box that was almost the same size as the military one.
I've got a first aid kit in all the vehicles, and I make it a point to check the expiration dates on the contents twice a year (when we check the ones at the office...).

One extra point: Some of the first aid kits in M37's got mounted by running the strap through slits in the under seat box instead of using the footman loops (or BillW's expedient of riviting the strap), but the location is the same... Just don't be surprised if you see a truck with elongated slots where the footman loops would be... :)

Mark@Sea

Actually, I have 3 holes for the bumpers, but no slits, loops, or anything else. I also have the holes for mounting the fire extinguisher, but according to the production listing I found, the fire extinguisher was discontinued before '54.
Matters not - I'm installing fire extinguisher (actually, two - one for class A, one for class C fires) and of course a first aid kit.

jepsonjj

I have been told that only the early m37's (0nly those made in 1951) had the slots for a strap. Anyone with slots on a later truck? Mine was made Dec 1951 and has slots. I found bumpers that were close to originals in McMaster Carr, but you have to buy large quantities.

Joe

Bill W

Look in the operators manual in the 1st or second chaptor under model/year changes/differences ( or something like that ) If I remember right , First aid kits and fire extinqishers were discontined around 1953, of course that did not stop me from putting both in my 1954, 37 :cool:

P.S. as mentioned earlier M-151 hood bumpers ( rests) are the same as the kit bumpers

Dodge man

I have been told that only the early m37's (0nly those made in 1951) had the slots for a strap. Anyone with slots on a later truck? Mine was made Dec 1951 and has slots. I found bumpers that were close to originals in McMaster Carr, but you have to buy large quantities.

Joe
My M37 was made in Aug '51 but seems to have nothing but late features! It has the three holes but no slots or loops. Can anyone post a picture of how/where the footman loops mount? Are they bolted or welded on? Do they use nuts on the back or are there weldnuts installed? anybody got three M151 hood bumpers to spare?

M-37Bruce

Here's the one I installed, the RH one is in my daughter's vehicle.
BTW, I also managed to get the Tank Commander's Binocular Mount aka; "Big Gulp" drink holder installed too!

Last edited:

Dodge man

I hadn't heard of Restoration Hardware before. I'll check them out. How much do they charge for the FA kit if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darn, something else to look for in my piles of stuff! I've been using one of those boxes as a pistol cleaning kit for a couple of decades - well, maybe four decades +, but who's counting!

steve1973

I know this is an old post but it is worth a try. My friend has an M37. Not sure what year. He states on the passenger side somewhere there are three holes for a bracket to attach to that holds a rectangle first aid kit to. Does anyone have a photo of this bracket set up and where can he buy one. Thanks

Steve A.

M-37Bruce

I know this is an old post but it is worth a try. My friend has an M37. Not sure what year. He states on the passenger side somewhere there are three holes for a bracket to attach to that holds a rectangle first aid kit to. Does anyone have a photo of this bracket set up and where can he buy one. Thanks

Steve A.
All you need to do is search the site for first aid kit install. It's basically two footman loops and 2 pieces of od strapping with buckles match. I'll look for a picture of mine in the meantime?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks