• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m37 frame qustion ,new guy

shootist

Hi Guys,

Picked up my 37 several months ago, old FD truck but fairly intact.

I noticed today when figuring out my plan of attack, that the rear
cross member where pintle and bumperets attach had apparently been removed,
and replaced with a "hunk" of plate steel, bolted and very sloppily welded.
And apparently they took a "heat wrench" to portions of the frame in that area to
"ease" the modifications (my guess) I'm sure someone here must have run into this before........or maybe not.....
My question is this- how difficult is it to find a replacement cross member?
and were they bolted? or welded? 2 of the pics are of the "plate " itself and 2 are under truck looking at the back of the plate at the frame rails and a small angle iron that was apparently added
I hope the pics uploaded ok..
I am sure I will have many more questions
Thanks!
Jay

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Jay,
Im not a big help on some of the questions you asked but I do know you can get the rear crossmember pretty easy. If im not beat to it I can get you some pictures of the back of my M37 to help - Jay

shootist

wow that was fast!
Jay thanks for the info.
Bruce thank you also for all the pics.
in your second set of pics, the second pic is the part I need.
Thank you also Tim I will be emailing you shortly
Jay

shootist

Guys thanks for all the pics
I think Tim has exactly what I"m looking for
I'm sure I'll have many more questions

M-37Bruce

Your also going to need the bumperettes, left & right, the shackles you already have mount inside the frame tails and the bumperette surrounds it. There is also an inside reinforcing gusset on either end.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, that's too bad that somebody messed that up so bad. They spent a lot of time screwing it up too. Its a little hard to tell from the pics, but you might want to replace the tail ends of the frame too. Once you get the bed off, you'll be able to see a lot more....

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

M-37Bruce

My Gusett's

Bruce anywhere I can find a pic of the gusset?
Here are a couple of pic's, left & right.
The towels are wrapping my bumperettes & tail lights so I don't scuff/scratch the paint when the bed assembly resumes.
I've got some more, let me know if you need a couple more?

Attachments

shootist

*sigh....... yep gonna need them also
thanks for pics Bruce.

Lee, you may have a point, I'm hoping once I pull the bed that I just see some plate
welded onto the frame tails & it'll be pretty simple to plasma cut out........I hope...
if not I guess I'll have to scab in some new tails.

M-37Bruce

I just went back & looked at your first post, it's hard to tell, but the frame tails look intact? Are the shackles bolted or welded on the the frame tails?
If they are bolted, you might be in luck! :wink:

shootist

Ya the frame tails appear to be intact. It looks like some kind of plate has been welded in.
From the looks of it (I cant see looking up from underneath the inside due to plate) but the shackles seem to be bolted in with the original bolts? I will try to get a better pic of exactly what they did in the morning.

shootist

ok here are a couple more pics.
in the pics you can see the plate is about 2.5 feet it goes to just about the end (front ) of the fuel tank on both sides with a piece of 2 inch angle to hold the fuel tank up
very creative Yankee ingenuity- Also the frame itself appears intact from what I can see of it.
The shackles and mounts are bolted on.
Im not sure why they would've welded this plate so far in-maybe extra support for their plate bumper?
hopefully when I pull the bed I wont find another surprise-
good thing I took a second look at the plate
because I found the left rear u shaped brakets that hold the axle/leaf spring
have 2 of the bolts broken off.........*sigh..... :roll:
and I have no idea why they "modified" the end of the rear harness except with a sharp knife and some tape.....
most likely for the tail lights and turn signals.... but I have a new one just came in!
I am sure its going to take some creative ingenuity to get the original rear electric back on line with the turn signals....
oh well back to the frame
your thoughts?

Attachments

M-37Bruce

Hopefully when the shackles come off, the welds will be an easy grind? They look like they've been that way for quite sometime?
Do the strap go completely around the gas tank, they should!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks