• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 front axel wheel bearings

Zeek

I am working on my 1952 M37 and need to know if the front axels and hubs have greased packed bearings or are they lubricated with the rear oil???
Thanks for the help
Zeek

TGP (IL)

As "NDT" said, front and rear wheel bearings are packed with grease.
If you have gear oil in either one's you have a seal leaking.
Front would be the inner axle seal leaking.
Rear could be inner or outer seal leak.

Tom

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
recommended grease

whats the recommended grease? something i can go get at a parts store...

truck is a 1954, ive never had the wheels open, so im assuming ive got to repack them all, dont want to drive it too much until i at least inspect it..

chris

pwrwagonfire

Both things these two guys said are 100% correct. I did this exact job this summer, replaced all the seals and brake parts at the same time.

I picked up the valvoline which I show a picture of here. Its mil spec, high temp, and seems to stick really well...I am really satisfied with it. My buddy who owns a local auto parts store says this is one of the types they recommend

Comes in the tubes for your grease gun, and also in these tubs (which I feel makes it easier for packing bearings)

I'm not sure how far you have already dug into the truck, but if your going this far you may as well check your steering knuckles for wear and re-pack them 2cents

Good luck

Attachments

Last edited:

m376x6

The front axles have a seal inside the axle tube that eventually needs replacing. The rear axle relies on the outer seal just behind the axle shaft flange to keep oil out of the wheel bearings. If you have leaky inner wheel seals, (they are the same front and rear) this will go a long way towards sucking gear oil out of the axle assemblies. Wheel bearing grease off of the shelf at Walmart works just fine. On a truck that has seen years of unknown service, pulling everything down to the bare front axle balls is best. There is a tapered roller bearing on the bottom and a tapered brass cone on the top. By the way, the reason for the top being brass(you can also use the same style tapered roller bearing on the top), is that the load on the knuckle is from the bottom, the top has only radial loads. To get the best strength and longest wear, you have to make sure you have proper pre-load on these knuckle setups. Too loose and and you can break a knuckle. Too much preload and you wear everything out but get strong arms in the process. Pulling the axle tube seal on the front axle can be a bear. Working on these old trucks is so much fun. Best of luck.

pwrwagonfire

The front axles have a seal inside the axle tube that eventually needs replacing...Pulling the axle tube seal on the front axle can be a bear. Working on these old trucks is so much fun. Best of luck.
:)
haha so true, replacing that seal for the lack of a better term...SUCKS!!
Slide hammer with a hook attachment on the end is what you will need!