• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Front Lifting Shackles

51willysm38

Does anyone know of what spring u-bolt that can be used for the USMC welded shackles on the front bumpers of the M37?

51willysm38

I was hoping I could cut the threaded area of a leaf spring u-bolt off and use that as the weld on USMC lifting shackles.

nattieleather

I don't think it was anything special. Just a bent piece of steel dowl. Maybe 3/8th or 1/2 inch thick? Not sure if they came from the factory that way for the Marines or if they added them at the local level.

L1A1

I don't think it was anything special. Just a bent piece of steel dowl. Maybe 3/8th or 1/2 inch thick? Not sure if they came from the factory that way for the Marines or if they added them at the local level.
That's what I was thinking but am not 100% sure on that.

51willysm38
Here's another link for you. This one may be of some (more) help to you as it is picture heavy.
USMC Modifications

Matt

51willysm38

I was told by an X-Marine that they were made from a leaf spring shackle bolt from a early type military vehicle. The cold role dowel, if I can find out the diameter, id probably the easiest way to go. Getting a perfect u-bolt bend is the hard part.

L1A1

I was told by an X-Marine that they were made from a leaf spring shackle bolt from a early type military vehicle. The cold role dowel, if I can find out the diameter, id probably the easiest way to go. Getting a perfect u-bolt bend is the hard part.
I'm just spit ball'n here but if they used old spring "U" bolts then they were probably out of old 2.5 ton trucks such as the International harvesters or even CCKWs that they received post war from the Army.

For making the nice round bend on your "paper clip" lifting shackle, try bending the rod over an appropriate sized peice of pipe.
Matt