• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 fuel tank.........a thought

Carla

Re my earlier query about finding a serviceable M37 fuel tank, or adapting some existing component.....

I took a close look at my 'rust-bucket' M37 tank, and got to thinking.

I get to be 'retired' these days, but I worked for quite a few years in the machine field, where, amongst other projects, I got to be fairly good (if I do say so myself) at doing zero-porosity argon arc (TIG or heli-arc, if you prefer) welding in process vessel work, particularly for the very hard vacuum needed for some classes of vacuum-chamber work.

After taking a few measurements, I was struck at just how relatively easy it would be to make up a replacement tank in stainless, having some rectangles sheared, and bent up with a suitable radius die set in a press brake. Instead of the 'deep draw' of the two original tank halves, one could simply have two rectangles with flanges bent up on the same radius as the original tank, then weld them together to form the outline of the tank, with other rectangles trimmed to match the corner radii, and welded in place to form the ends.

Its not quite that simple, as one would need to weld in a couple of baffles on the lower half before assembly/welding, and make up suitable parts to weld in for the filler and vent lines, on one of the 'end' pieces, as well as adding a fitting on the upper surface for the fuel suction line and another, a ring of tapped holes, for the fuel gage. A 1/4" NPT-tapped fitting on the bottom, for tank drain, would be obvious.

My thought is that if it could cost me $200-ish for a used original tank, and then I'm taking the chance that it would have to be sent out for 'coating', well, that could get costly, and I'd still have the same risk of rust, over time.

Maybe I could 'get lucky' in finding a tank from some later model truck that would fit with some mods, and be a much cheaper solution, but some folks 'get lucky', others don't.......I'd probably be one of the 'don't'.

Its been quite a few years, now, since I had to specify and purchase 304 and 316 stainless sheet stock, sheared to size and/or formed in a brake or roll. I've no idea as to whether those suppliers are still active, but can find out with a few phone calls. I'm thinking that 16 gage 304 would be about right, altho if I was to be running rough terrain, I might think about 14 gage for a 'truly rugged' tank.

If I can get the stock, and have the forming done, the rest is pretty readily do-able, and then I'd have the fuel tank situation handled for 'good and all', with no fear of rust developing when the unit sits dormant through the winter.

I've still got my old argon-arc rig here, and I don't think it would take me too long to 'get back in practice' doing zero-porosity stainless work.

So.....a question.....If, indeed, I can get the stock, and have it sheared and formed locally, is there anyone here in California (I'm in the S. F. bay area) who has an M37, and might be interested in a 'joint venture' project of making up a couple of these tanks?

(I shouldn't be lifting much, these days, so having some help with jigging-up and handling parts, so that I could just stay sitting down and running bead, would be ever so nice from my point of view)

For the record, I'd like to assure everyone in the parts business that I'm not thinking of doing these as a product item to compete with them.....just thinking of making up a high quality part for my M37, and maybe one or two others at most, if there are folks who need them and would like such a project.

cheers

Carla

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love a stainless tank. However I think it would be labor and therefor cost intensive. I could be wrong.

Many people have had great success putting a chevy s10 tank from a low 1990s I think. I am sure there are threads here about it, or google m37 chevy s10 fuel tank.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron and Bob put an S-10 tank on Ron's 37. Took them two hours, including the four trips to NAPA for 'just one more part' including some longer straps to hold the tank up.

Keith_J

Stainless is quite the over-kill. But if you have the skills and argon, it would work. I'm doing something similar, my little 3 kW 28 volt MEP 026C needs a fuel tank, only I plan to make it from 14 gauge aluminum, also GTAW. Only because I love to hear the sizzle of AC. And on clean aluminum, my little Miller Dynasty makes it easier than plain carbon steel. I do need to get a water cooled torch, have a friend promising me the cooler.

FrankUSMC

I do not know if this is true or not, as I have not looked. I was told that the gas tank that is mounted under a M101 type trailer for generators is the same as the M37 gas tank. I have a M101A1 trailer here that had a generator mounted in it, and under it is a gas tank. Another collector told me this who knows more about M series trucks than I do.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank,
You are correct. I have two generator trailer tanks I got though the years. The are the same size, however the gage mount is in a different location and a bigger size than the stock sending unit. They would work if you made an adapter and added a little wire.

vtdeucedriver

HAHA,
Well the cat is out of the bag now. I sent that tidbit of info to Carla in a PM. My tank is a NOS gen tank and it fits.....................I can hear the tanks being removed on these trailers now.

Carla

Does anyone know of a source from which I cold get one of those genset tanks?

Making up a "blank flange" for the existing fuel gage location, and making up a suitable steel ring with the pattern of 10-32 tapped holes, to solder to the tank in the original fuel gage location would be ever so easy.

(and, yes, I've soldered up a number of fuel tanks, one time and another. The safety issue, when using a torch on a fuel tank, is handled by simply filling the tank with water, to just below the area on which one is working. No matter how small an area is left uncovered above water level, the torch heat will drive some fuel residue out of the steel, which will fire with a gentle 'pop', after warming the tank, then touching the torch flame to any opening.)

cheers

Carla

3dAngus

I bought a trailer with two gen sets on it just for that tank. Didn't need it, but I heard they were rare and I had a little extra cash. Bought it from Chief, and I may be wrong, but he might have gotten it from Frank above.
One is going to be available soon. The trailer one looks clean and undented but Patracy says gas smells like turpentine. Tank on m37 is dented but no leaks or problems that I know of. That is a running truck.
I don't know about shipping hassles on a tank that had fuel in it before so I don't know if the post office will let me mail it yet but I would consider an offer. If good enough, I might actually get back to work on the m37 and get these tanks off. Not looking forward to it, but will make a decent effort to meet your schedule. Health has been holding me back from all projects lately. Just PM me an offer if you want, and an email if you want under the underside pictures.

Carla

I bought a trailer with two gen sets on it just for that tank. Didn't need it, but I heard they were rare and I had a little extra cash. Bought it from Chief, and I may be wrong, but he might have gotten it from Frank above.
One is going to be available soon. The trailer one looks clean and undented but Patracy says gas smells like turpentine. Tank on m37 is dented but no leaks or problems that I know of. That is a running truck.
I don't know about shipping hassles on a tank that had fuel in it before so I don't know if the post office will let me mail it yet but I would consider an offer. If good enough, I might actually get back to work on the m37 and get these tanks off. Not looking forward to it, but will make a decent effort to meet your schedule. Health has been holding me back from all projects lately. Just PM me an offer if you want, and an email if you want under the underside pictures.
Hello, Angus,

Yes, I would certainly be interested on one of those tanks, probably the one from the genset trailer, as it would be less convenient to revise to fit to your M37.
I don't at all mind having to deal with decomposed fuel and with making up a revision part for the fuel gage location, so long as the tank isn't rusted thin in spots.

i spoke with Jens at Vintage Power Wagons. They offer a very expensive service for re-conditioning M37 tanks.

He told me that the standard practice for shipment was to enclose the tank in three or more large plastic garbage bags, taping them closed with duct tape, then cutting-and-fitting large cardboard boxes to the shape of the tank, and taping it over well with duct tape, at which point UPS will accept it for shipment as an 'empty container' containing no material, hazardous or otherwise.

'UPS ground' shipping will be 'not cheap' of course, but shouldn't be a 'deal killer'.

As to what would be a fair price for the tank, and for your work in packaging it, let's ask the folks here,,,,,,,,I really don't know what the 'going price' or 'current market value' for such a tank would be, these days. In the early 1990's, when we were working on the M37 and getting it 'dialled-in', M37 parts were plentiful and cheap.......but times change'.

E-mail me, if you would, please, on
carla.satra@earthlink.net or carla@tactical-link.com

cheers

Carla

FrankUSMC

Nope, did not sell trailer I have, it is still in the spot where I put it a couple of years ago. I will sell the trailer and tank for what I bought it for, just to get them off the farm.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

3dAngus

Dell, I think a tank that has had gas in it must be professionally cleaned in order to be shipped.
Thanks Lloyd, that pretty much so rules out any shipping on my behalf. Frank, thanks to you as well. I guess I forgot who Chief said he bought it from, but I was sure it was a SSer.

wdbtchr

Just to subscribe and say I would be interested in one of those tanks if in reasonable pick-p distance to St. Louis, MO. I'm currently using a tank mounted in the bed just as a get by. Been that way for way more years than I care to admit.:shrugs:

combat32

There is one near me for sale, but he wants to sell the whole trailer and wants 1k, it comes with a top and bows too, do they really bring that much? I got my 101 from Warthog here on SS, I traded a rifle for mine:mrgreen:

Attachments

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Does anyone know of a source from which I cold get one of those genset tanks?

Making up a "blank flange" for the existing fuel gage location, and making up a suitable steel ring with the pattern of 10-32 tapped holes, to solder to the tank in the original fuel gage location would be ever so easy.

(and, yes, I've soldered up a number of fuel tanks, one time and another. The safety issue, when using a torch on a fuel tank, is handled by simply filling the tank with water, to just below the area on which one is working. No matter how small an area is left uncovered above water level, the torch heat will drive some fuel residue out of the steel, which will fire with a gentle 'pop', after warming the tank, then touching the torch flame to any opening.)
Carla,
The M-37 sending hole is there already. For the Gen trailer, it has a blank cover with the gasket for the sender. The gen float gage is closer to the fuel neck on the tank and is a bigger diameter. All you will need to do is make a blank for that and cut a gasket.

vtdeucedriver

Ok,
I talked to a friend of mine about these tanks. Mine is a different run. The gen tanks need an adapter plate and the existing M-37 sending unit attaches to it so all you will need to do is extend your connector. I know where to get some already made adapter plates if someone wants to do this.

GUNNY 155

My tank was solid but had some internal rust. I took it to a local radiator shop that works with a lot of vintage car guys. he coated the inside with a product that is approved for aircraft use and coated the outside with a black rubberized sort of material. I think it was about $250.00 with a life time warranty. He was also doing a half track tank for the First ID Museum. If you want more info. PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks