• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37: How plans change.....

rmvivas

The rolling chassis I acquired for the purpose of salvaging the wheels/tires and scrapping the rest is becoming more and more intriguing.

When I got it there was an engine laying loosely in the engine compartment area. I didn't take a good look at it, nor did I care; I was here for wheels and tires, everything else was going to get scrapped to pay for it all.

The fellow I got it from said the engine was "....from a carry all...". Fine.

I had today off from work and figured I would go and have a look at this thing. It was wrapped in plastic sheeting, an old rubber raincoat and a fair bit of tape. Unraveling all of it revealed an engine that looked very similar to the one under the hood of my M37.

Now please keep in mind that I am very new and totally ignorant to working on motor vehicle. This whole thing is a learning experience so please be patient if my terminology is off or I don't immediately grasp some fundamental mechanical concept.

The engine looks a lot like the one I have in my M37 right now. On the left (driver side) front of the engine there is an area that is milled flat and has a series of characters stamped into it. It was a bit hard to read so a wire brush was employed the following was observed stamped into the flat (see image):US - 12 - 10194.

Attached to the front of the engine was a blue and white metal tag from what I believe was the Norwegian military. The spot that is reserved for engine number is stamped US1210194 so I am assuming the tag and engine are a match. It shows what I believe to be an overhaul date of March 23, 1964.

All of the things that bolt onto the engine are missing, but then again, I do see them with some frequency on various auction sites.

It's not like I don't have enough on my plate right now but some part of me wonders: If this engine is correct for an M37 and the frames is in such nice shape, perhaps the thing to do is clean up what's here to mint shape and then keep throwing parts at it until it's complete.

I mean, I know next to nothing about engines. Really. But here is one sitting out in the open, easily accessible. Perhaps this is the gods' way of telling to put it on an engine stand, open the TM to the right chapter and dive in.

The M37 I have now has been somewhat sporterized in that the front of the frame was modified for a civilian powerwagon winch and a **** of a deer-killer bumper. While I'll be keeping it mostly mechanically military, it'll likely have a civilian paint job and a few 'snivel gear' features.

This, on the other hand..........................

Original plan: pull the tires/wheels, store them in garage. Sell off what can be sold off, scrap the rest.

New plan: roll the whole thing into a nice parking space, take a more thorough inventory of what's there, contemplate.......something......

Right now everythings under a tarp while I try to think what to do.

So this is how the 'green disease' metastasizes?

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES

Keep both. The one you have as more civic and this one as a real original MV without any civic stuff. By the way, what the **** is a Danish engine doing on your side of the ocean?

Edit: Your right, its not Danish but Norwegian, did not read your post good enough and was too quick with reply; Denmark had a similar named organization.

Last edited:

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More parts equals more options! It doesn't get much better than this! You may end up with 2 trucks now.

Frank

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"So this is how the 'green disease' metastasizes?"

Yes, yes it is. 8)

You now have two trucks. One has been abused and bastardized and one is stock, but naked and needs a body.

It is now your responsibility restore the abused one to a healthy state and clothe the naked one with a new body.

Man up and get to work! Those trucks are depending on you! :-D

Storm 51

P.S. Btw, you still need two tires and wheels!

rmvivas

Well, I've given more thought on what to do with this frame and it's attached goodies.

My initial plan, and I think it was a good one, was to take the wheels and tires and scrap or sell the balance. Since this whole thing wound up costing me $240 or so, I'd say that my original plan was solid. I'd probably even make a few bucks.

Now I'm thinking that this might be an opportunity for me to learn. Not a cheap or even cost effective opportunity, but a learning opportunity nonetheless.
I'm thinking now that I should take this frame and it's assorted attached goodies and use it to take a shot at building a GI M37 from the ground up. It won't be quick and it wont be cheap but I think that I would learn just about all there is to know about M37's in the process. Worst case scenario would be taking the whole project and selling it to someone more knowledgable/dedicated than myself.
So........................
Right now I'm thinkin the first step is to ge the frame out of my driveway and under cover and cleaned up. A couple questions:
I'd like to take the frame over to an associate of mine to be blasted. Right now there are parts attached to the frame that are riveted on. Since they are riveted I figure it's best to leave those be. What about things that are bolted on? For instance, the shock absorber brackets are bolted on; would I want the frame blasted with those still on or should they be removed and blasted seperately? Things like that.

Also, once the frame is blasted, what covering should be applied to it? What sort of primer and top coating?

Danger Ranger

If you want to do it 110% right the first time, then I would cut off the rivited brackets and undo the bolted ones. The bolted ones should definitely come off for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks