• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 in movies and TV

Capt.Marion

Neat. There weren't any in Goldfinger, although there was a M43 ambulance in there. (M37 w/ ambulance box). They also missed the several M37s in Good Morning Vietnam

L1A1

Hey fellows!
I don't remember the name of the particular Elvis movie it was in but there was a real nice M37 (B1?) in one of his movies. It was in GI (Army) livery with it's windshield folded and no canvas being driven by a pretty woman (big surprise there). Although not an M37, there is one of those Frankie & Annette beach movies that features a WC62/63 in it (can't remember if it had a winch on it). It's in several scenes through out the film.
Matt

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: M37 in movies and TV

I like the shots of an M37 in The Battle of the Bulge and the one with the invasion stars. DUH!! Don't the movie folks realize that WWII was over by the time the first M37s rolled off the assembly line?

Capt.Marion

Same with the Dirty Dozen. I believe the M37 in that even had combat rims on it... Should I talk about Patton, where they used ONLY gasser M35s and M3 halftracks and M48 tanks, both for the allies and the Gerrys? Honestly, these people need to hire a real MV consultant...

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR

We Were Soldiers had one at the Fire base when they first got into country. Real good shot! M37 with ambulance body is a M43 . A few M37 had combat rims while in service , ill dig up the pictures.

Im going to re watch Battle of the Buldge today and see that lol .

AN/GRC-46

I think it's a little too easy to be critical of the errors we find in the movies. Movies, in general, are meant to be entertainment and, at most, approximations of actual events. As such, the materials and props used don't necessarily need to be 100% accurate as long as what is being used is representative of the flavor of the times.

Add to this the basic fact that WWII German (and US) battle equipment isn't just laying around waiting to be used in the occasional movie or TV show. True, there are companies that stock this type of equipment but the rental fees and useage limitations often preclude their use in the ways that a director might envision. Say a director wants to film a tank battle between 12 M4s and 15 Tigers. Where the heck would he find this many operational tanks? Even if he did, would the owners allow such things as blowing the treads off with explosives or setting off a charge inside the tank to blow the turret off simply for cinematic effect?

Today, many scenes are computer generated but in the past many military vehicles were destroyed for our entertainment. Think about how many Jeeps you've seen blown up, burned up, crushed by tanks, rolled over, etc. Each one of those is one less that's available today. Assuming that the amphib Jeep in the Arizona Jones movie was authentic, it was destroyed and isn't available for the next movie. Likewise the tank that went over the cliff.

As much as we'd like to think otherwise, the M37 is a pretty unrecognizable vehicle. Most people simply wouldn't recognize it as wrong in a WWII setting. The same goes for the various flavors of deuces. It's one thing to recognize errors, but don't be too harsh in your criticism.

Finally, if a movie company approached you and asked to rent your M37 for a movie, would you do it? Remember that they often want to modify the vehicle by cutting holes for camera access, or drill holes to mount external cameras. Also they might think it's no big deal to run it into a tree or another vehicle, or roll it off an embankment onto its side.

Of course you wouldn't. The same goes for owners of authentic period equipment.

flobble

I went to go see "Hellboy 2" with my son last weekend(long story, don't ask!) and in the one scene that was supposed to take place in an army camp in the 50's you could see an M37 drive by in the background. I thought it was a nice touch.

tractor

Well in Indy it was a Gaaz a Russian vehicle and not a Seep. But everything else is correct. The worst travesty is the Tom Cruise movie coming out from what i heard. They hired a guy in the hobby but still used US halftracks as German and various other stuff that real stuff or repro is available. Russian post war halftracks are pretty close to German and can easily be modified to correct

AN/GRC-46

bubba_got_you said:
Isn’t there a place where you can resister your mv for use in movies?
Just Google - specialty vehicles movie use - and you'll find dozens of companies that provide vehicles for movie use. Call one or more of them to find out what is involved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks