• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 / M42 Rear Dual Wheel Project Completion w/Photos

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There recently seemed to be some interest over on the CUCV thread about dual wheels. I just finished a long delayed dual wheel project for the M37 / M42 that I thought there might be some interest in.

A long time ago (decades actually; yeah, I'm old) I started thinking about a dual wheel installation for my M37 / M42. I didn't want anything permanent; I wanted something like a kit that could installed in the field if necessary. I really didn't know where to start, so it was just a thought exercise.

I saw the pictures of the m37's with duals while they were still in active service, so I now knew it could be done. Then about 5 or 6 years ago I found 4 dual wheels and tires for sale. I bought them.

Last Fall I had the use of a auto shop (until the racing season starts again), so I decided to see what I could come up with.

The one issue I had was that the brake drums at the rear outside were slightly too large to allow the inner wheel to properly mount. Thanks to Bob Stahl of Veteran Vehicles, that problem was solved with a brake lathe by removing approximately .050 to .060 inch (dia.) of material from the brake drum. A dime is .050 inch thick for reference.

Below are some pictures of the completed project. The wheels, as you can see, are riveted not welded so they are stock, unmodified military wheels. What they were originally intended for I have no idea. They are M37 / M42 dual wheels now.

IMG_8884R.jpgIMG_8885R.jpgIMG_8886R.jpgIMG_8892R.jpgIMG_8894R.jpgIMG_8895R.jpgIMG_8897R.jpgIMG_8898R.jpgIMG_8899R.jpg

Here are some close up and detail photos. the fenders are bolted on to the existing fender mounting holes. The new front and rear running boards are bolted to the fenders and the horizontal lip under the bottom edge of the cargo box so that there are no visible modifications to the truck. Excluding the existing fender holes there are only 8 additional holes (4 on each side) in the cargo bed, none which are visible.

IMG_8907R.jpgIMG_8906R.jpgIMG_8905R.jpgIMG_8904R.jpgIMG_8891R.jpgIMG_8890R.jpgIMG_8889R.jpgIMG_8888R.jpgIMG_8887R.jpgIMG_8908R.jpg

There are more photos available if anyone is interested. There are also some "in work" photos available.

These wheels will be removed next week and the original single wheel configuration will be restored. Now I know it can be done. One more kit to go with all the others. On to the next project.

Enjoy

Attachments

Bill W

Somewhere in my collection is a old photo of dualie M-37's loading on a transport to go to Libya to look for the remains of the crew from the bomber "Lady Be Good"

Juskatla

That's the best truck I have seen and over the years, I've had a chance to look at a lot. Beautiful fabrication of the dual parts and it all comes together perfectly. What's your next 'option' project?

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind words about the truck! It takes me a while to get anything accomplished, but eventually I get there.

Regarding the "next option project", I'm going to try to finish up all the others I've started and "put on the back burner".

I need to finish, in no particular order:

100 Amp generating System and Battery Box modification (I have all the parts, I just need to install and paint them).

Ammo Box Brackets in the Cargo Bed

Teak & Wenge Command Table in Cargo Bed and 2 additional tailgate tables.

Finish the cargo bed power distribution system.

Finish the cargo bed Command Truck lighting system.

Finish the restoration of the cab hardtop and detachable cargo rack.

Then finish up the modifications to my M101A1 trailer.

After that (and during that) I need to work on my truck radios and my M-144 radio teletype shelter.

I always bite off way more than I can chew. But, it gives me something to do and it keeps me out of trouble; well, mostly.

I may need another truck.......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a big fan of adding duals to anything. Wait, what in the heck am I saying, I add duals to everything, your M37A1 looks great. Who's next? Still waiting on an M715 with duals.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever thought about puttin her in for S.S. MV of the month contest here!?? I agree with others, looks really Sa-weet. Appears "factory" if ya know what I mean? Thanks for sharing!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been in the MV of the Month a couple of times, but only as "filler" to get the minimum number of vehicles so they can have a vote.

There doesn't seem to be much love for old M37s in that forum.

oddave715

I'm not a big fan of adding duals to anything. Wait, what in the heck am I saying, I add duals to everything, your M37A1 looks great. Who's next? Still waiting on an M715 with duals.
M715 with duals has been done. I've seen some pics. Listing around before. I'd bet it's easier to find m37 dual wheels than M715 lug pattern dual wheels.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been in the MV of the Month a couple of times, but only as "filler" to get the minimum number of vehicles so they can have a vote.

There doesn't seem to be much love for old M37s in that forum.
There's plenty of love. I've been looking for one for years. All the best ones are owned by guys like you. Great job, I guess I'll just keep dreaming.

DUUANE

That is a top notch job. Well thought out and executed. I would definatly drive that till i was dust. I dont think anyone really understands an M37 and the joy and love of having one in the family until they spend a few weekends wheeling in the bush in one. Its one of the few vehicles you can actually sneak up on wildlife in.
I miss mine. Wish i had never sold it. It will be one of the Great Regrets of my life.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the kind words about the truck!

They are a LOT of fun to drive out in the woods. The truck is happier out there too. Up and down mountain sides at 25 to 35 miles an hour is what it was designed for rather than 60 to 80 on a freeway.

I've had mine for almost 40 years and have restored it twice. You get to a point with a vehicle like this that you can't sell it because you have way more "invested" (that's what I ALWAYS tell my wife - "invested") than you can ever get out of it. The heirs have to sell it; you can't.

I really don't own that truck; it owns me.

It is a lot of fun though, either driving it, working on it or collecting bits and pieces for it.

As my wife says, "It's cheaper than a girlfriend, I always know where he is, and I can sell it when he dies and get some of the money back."

So, it's a toy and one of the small joys of life.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wives.......holy smokes.....

Sell it and get money back?....lol

Hope mine goes to family or friend who understands how precious it was in my life. I, like many would LOVE to have a M-37. Keepers or fixer-uppers that aren't made of unobtainium are truly rare. Yours is a shining example of what is possible, truly a work of love and devotion!!! Thanks for sharing!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I'd bet it's easier to find m37 dual wheels than M715 lug pattern dual wheels.
This is absolutely true for dual wheels that will fit the M37. The real problem however, as always, is the shipping on M37 wheels. It usually is more than the cost of the wheels (and the wheels are always on the other side of the country).

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wives.......holy smokes.....

Sell it and get money back?....lol

Hope mine goes to family or friend who understands how precious it was in my life. I, like many would LOVE to have a M-37. Keepers or fixer-uppers that aren't made of unobtainium are truly rare. Yours is a shining example of what is possible, truly a work of love and devotion!!! Thanks for sharing!
My wife always says that with a smile.....

The truck is the only thing of mine that has been around longer than her, so that kind'a protects the truck.

We'll have to see if my son or daughter wants the truck eventually; it would be nice if they did, but we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime there is still plenty to do. I've just about finished restoring my hardtop, there are radios to restore and install (including a GRC-46C teletype shelter), a machine gun mount in the bed, ammo can racks (almost done), and an inclinometer installation and a compass installation and adjustment to do. The tail gate tables are also almost done. There is also a trailer to work on if I live long enough.

There is always something else to do and it keeps me out of bars.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks