• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 - NDTs or NDCCs?

6x6junkie

I run them bolth on my 37 for $80 a peice new i didnt squack much these tires are hard to locate surplus now a days . realy hard to see the difference in them on the truck .

m376x6

Still hoping for a picture of a 9.00-16 NDCC. Does anyone have a picture of an M37 with a NDCC? Hopefully close up so everyone can see the details.

NMC_EXP

My M37 along with the five NDCC's on it was destroyed in a fire. All of my photos of the truck are the 35mm film variety and I do not own a scanner. I could provide photos of a mounted 9.00 x 16 without the truck if that would be of interest.

Regards

Jim

NMC_EXP

Any picture of an NDCC mounted on a 5 hole Budd rim would be great.
Here are two photos of one U.S. Rubber 9.00 x 16 on a five hole Budd. The others (US RUbber and Denman look the same.

From a front profile view the tread surface is obviously radiused. Where the tread bars wrap around the shoulder and blend into the sidewall that surface is angled in from the sidewall at maybe 15 degrees.

The O.D. profile of the tread is radiused, not flat.

The tread bars on the shoulder angle in to the center rather than being squared off.

The groove depth is uniform from centerline to shoulder - no uneven wear.

I'm convinced this is an NDCC.

Regards

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike_L

I always thought those were considered the NDTs design due to the crisp break at the shoulders.

The NDCCs that I remember don't have that break at the corners but rather have a more rounded shoulder.

NMC_EXP

I do not have an NDT for direct comparison but my recollection is that NDT tread bars extended farther to the sides thus giving the squared shoulder profile. I also believe the contact patch area was relatively flat rather than the radiused or domed profile of this tire.

The only tires I currently have which have I.D. on them are 7:00 x 16's. These are from the mid 60's, are marked NDCC and look like the 9.00 in my photos.

There may have been new production NDT's coming in from supplier A at the same time supplier B was shipping NDCC's to the govt. There was bound to have been overlap, maybe even up to the last M37 and M715 being sold off.

If the vehicle is not in an MVPA show, it does not matter much so maybe we're trying to pick the fly stuff out of the pepper.

I'm curious re: the pro's and con's of the two designs and why the DoD came out with the NDCC. I poked around the net some and came up with no info.

Regards

Jim

Mike_L

Jim,

Found this in the military specs "TIRE, PNEUMATIC: FOR MILITARY GROUND VEHICLES" (Mil-T-12459). Found on the ASSIST site.

Cross Country on the left; Mud & Snow (what we keep referring as NDT) on the right.

Attachments

Reactions: NDT

NMC_EXP

Excellent info - thanks. I had not found the ASSIST site you linked to.

The images you provided are from:

MIL-T-12459E TIRE, PNEUMATIC: FOR MILITARY GROUND VEHICLES

1.1 Scope. This specification covers pneumatic tires and tire flaps,
when applicable, for mounting on ground vehicles for tactical military use

This spec lists: CLASS CC (cross country) and CLASS MS (mud & snow). In a quick run thru I saw no reference to the term "Non Directional Tread".

For the Mud & Snow (MS) Class it lists:
6.00 x 16 used on 1/4 ton jeeps (and trailers ?)
9.00 x 16 used on 3/4 ton trucks and trailers

For the Cross Country (CC) Class it lists:
7.00 x 16 used for the M38, M151 and M416
9.00 x 16 used on 2 1/2 trucks and trailers

The 6.00 x 16 was a WW2 size and it is a MS. I assume the 9.00 x 16 was used on the WC series of WW2 (?) and it's a MS.

The 7.00 x 16 and 9.00 x 20 sizes are post WW2 (?) and are CC.

Based on this info, I was wrong. The 9.00 x 16 were not the CC design, they were MS.

I still can't conjure why the two patterns existed. Looks like when a new size came out it was CC. If the CC was an improvement over the MS the improvement must have been too small to justify retooling for the 9.00x16.

Regards

Jim

"Blessed are they who run around in little circles, for they shall be know as wheels."
~ unknown

"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."
~ Robert A Heinlein

m376x6

Thanks for the pictures of the NDT's. Does anyone have any pictures of 9.00-16 NDCC's mounted on rims? Thanks again.

1958 M274

I'm still waiting for a photo of a mounted 9.00-16 showing the squared off profile and factory marked "NDT".

Regards

Jim
See attached pictures. Both the new STAs and the old Denmans pictured are marked both NDT and Mud and Snow on the same tires.

Square shouldered NDTs were actually used on several post WW2 vehicles including 9.00-16s on M37s and M715s, 6.00-16s on M422 Mighty Mites, and 12.00-20s on the M246 and M819 5 ton tractor wreckers...

Attachments

Katch1

my m-37 had ndt's on it amd the mold dates if I remember right were the early 50's, but its been a while since I owned it, but they were ndts for sure, wish I had some pics sorry about that

m376x6

Perhaps he'll get the idea that NDT and NDCC are not hardline designations that are always molded into tires but a way folks describe the style of tires.

Reactions: NDT
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks