• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 - new here hiya ... need some advise please

citizensoldier

Wow! Looks like a Baha race truck.. Well if you can give me the numbers off the frame I can tell you the year. If its a US made truck it is on the drivers side frame just in front of the steering box and front spring mount. If its a Canadian made truck "and it could be I see your in Isreal" its on the drivers frame on top by the bumper.
Does it run? If it has not been started for some time dont try using the stock fuel tank!!! Unhook the line up by the fuel pump and hook a external tank up. Maybe check and clean out the carberator.. It might have a 251 flathead in it too.. Send some pictures of under the hood.. We will help you out as much as we can.

maxim

Some start out worse than yours. I see black out lights, drivers spare tire carrier, can't quite see if the tailgate is present. Can you paint them green in Israel, or are there laws against representing MV's? Looks like rust is not a problem over there which is a plus. More like the sun baked the paint. What a find...If it could only talk...oh the stories.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a M37B1, made in the 1960s. The B1 models had the spare tire mounted on the door.

I like the rollbar, for some reason it looks at home on that truck. But the Smurf paint job has to go.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What to do first? Air up the tire & take it to the car wash. Get some of those tyvek disposable coveralls, take everything out of her, and give her a good wash, inside & out. Especially the mud on the underside & caked on grease. Some of that paint might even come off. Clean stuff, is a lot nicer to work on.

Great find! Those are neat tires too.

Lee in Alaska

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tires look German to me - I have seen the same tread pattern on original WWII German equipment, and on Unimogs as well....

citizensoldier

The tires are a Euro, Nato, UN tread tire.. You see them allot on foriegn vehicles.. That could be a B1 but some of the early radio trucks M42's had the spare moved to the door to make room for radio equipement.. This was part of the M42 change order.. If its a B1 it should have the NP420 trans and the new style dash lights in the guage panel.. I can tell if he gets me the numbers off of it.. I know the Isrealis put 251's in most of there trucks and even diesels in some. That could be a airforce paint color.. Its in good shape.. Also the Canadians were big in the UN and something like 80% of there vehicles spent time overseas.. like the Siani penninsula. Not sure how to spell that.. sorry. My Canadian truck has UN white over one green and under another green.. I am very curiouse to know what it is...

abusafam

wow thanks for the warm welcome...
i will get the numbers first thing tommorow morning and psot em here
just run of the luck...i heard some say to some one else that he has a old jeep in some barn in the north
and he has to get rid of it... he sounded so unhappy... i said i'll take it if thats ok...
he was so happy ...and know i am very happy...

i will take some more picture tommorow and post em

i will start to work on it in april when it gets a little warmer here

thanks again for the warm welcome

m376x6

Rough, but restoreable

Clearly not Canadien. Not a modified truck. She will be between 1957 and 1968 in vintage. The serial number will most likely NOT be on the drivers side but on the frame rail above the front axle on the passenger side not as on the drivers side as it is for 1951 through 1955 trucks. The serial number on the glove box door should match the number on the frame, at least the last several digits. Posting those numbers is a real quick way to determine the year of manufacture for folks with the Zenthmeyer production book. Best of luck with her, they can be quite a long time hobby and very enjoyable over the years.

Regards,
Bryan

citizensoldier

RE: Rough, but restoreable

How is it "Clearly not a Canadian truck"? I own two 1957 to 1968 B1's and the frame numbers are still in the same spot??? This makes no sense to me? Out of the 6 trucks I own only two had the same number on the glovebox and frame.. Are you reffering to the radiator placement?

m376x6

As I said, it is most likely the serial number on the B1 series is on the passenger side frame rail, there are a lot of exceptions. I've got or had many 64's and 65's that have the number on the passenger side. Then again I have a 63 that has it on the drivers side. Again, most likely it will be on the passenger side, but that may depend on the year of manufacture I would imagine. Given the parting out and swapping of parts between trucks it may be possible to have glovebox doors that don't match the serial numbers, or at least the last several numbers. I've found where often only the last numeric series of the production numbers were stamped on the glovebox doors. Canadian models had different hoods, actually modified US version M37 hoods. They are very recognizable escpecially with this good a picture. This was to install the 251 25 inch block and was coupled to a Borg Warner transmission as I recall, definitely a different transmission. There were also some other minor differences between the versions but it has been many years ago that I had one in my possession. I believe this is a B series not only because of the spare tire carrier but also because of the bed. But again, over the years parts could have been swapped around.

citizensoldier

Hmmm.. Some of this is news to me Brian.. Not trying to be a stickler about it.. But my Canadian M37 has the same hood as all the others.. They were produced in the same plant here in Michigan just assembled at Dodge Canada.. To make room for the longer engine the radiator is pushed further forward between the uprights but its the same hood. The Canadian truck uses the ACME transmission and its the same length as the other two trans used in the US trucks. The rear of the engine sits in the same place with the front having two extra further forward motor mount holes welded to the frame. Reverse on the ACME is over and forward.. I believe all Canadian trucks were hard tops also. So I see nothing on this truck to tell if its a B1, Canadian, US or otherwize.. The serial numbers will tell the story for sure. I only learned all this from chatting with guys on the Maple Leaf Down site... And from restoring one..

m376x6

The radiator being pushed forward is where the modification came from. To clear the radiator they soldered on an extension or end piece rather to the hood. A standard hood won't clear the radiator top tank. It may not be real noticeable to some folks though. And yes, they were made at the same plant. Look carefully and you'll see the B1 series bed differences. It was an ACME transmission. It was definitely different. I have heard it was a Borg Warner from a few folks. But you may have the right info, I never pursued it as someone made a serious offer on the parts I had to make theirs into a version that had the 251.

citizensoldier

I am not aware of the B1 bed differences? Can you explain? OD minds would like to know.. Man I sure would like to have some Canadian truck parts.. I like the trans.. very smooth, even better than the B1 trans.. I have been looking for a PTO for it for 5 years.. Just not out there.. I would love to put a winch on my Canadian truck ..

CGarbee

The big difference in beds is in the troop seat hardware. Since the B1 trucks had the spare tire mounted over the driver's door, the the troop seats are full length on both sides of the bed. The slide for the troop seat brace on the passenger side is all the way forward (matching the placement of the one on the driver's side) and there are no weldnuts in place on the front pannel for the jumpseat, nor provisions for mounting the in-bed spare tire support.

I have seen a lot of swapped body parts over the years though (and have done so myself), so finding an early truck with a later bed or vice versa is pretty common (at leat in my area).

I've seen a lot of variation in the number an location of the knock outs for the radio antenna(s), but the variation is accross all the model years that I have worked on, or looked at while at shows, or when talking to folks about thier trucks, so I can't draw any conclusions based off these... Incidently, I'm referring to trucks that have not had the radio mounts installed where you can see the indentations for the knock out(s) through the paint or when the bed has been stripped (depends sometime on how much paint there is as to how easy it is to spot them...).

Incidently, every Marine truck that I have come near in my area has had the door mounted spare on it at some time, even the early ones... I think that somebody decided to do a major retrofit at some time...:)

To respond to the original question: It looks like a good start and a wonderful project. Great to see one in such shape getting some TLC, especially one in a new part of the world for the Steelsoldiers familly. :) If it was mine, I'd clean it up (as someone has said, it makes working on it a lot nicer and it makes it a lot easier to see what you have) after I looked at it a bit to see if I had any obvious fluid leaks. Then, I'd evaluate the condition of the systems: engine/driveline, brakes, electrical, tires, body, and would prioritize and plan a systematic approach to refurbishment with an eye to how I was going to use the truck, funds, time, and skills... Personally, if I'm not taking it completely apart for a rebuild, I like to get it running, stopping, and all the electrical working before I think about cosmetics...

Good luck and enjoy.

abusafam

Re: RE: M37 - new here hiya ... need some advise please

citizensoldier said:
Wow! Looks like a Baha race truck.. Well if you can give me the numbers off the frame I can tell you the year. If its a US made truck it is on the drivers side frame just in front of the steering box and front spring mount. If its a Canadian made truck "and it could be I see your in Isreal" its on the drivers frame on top by the bumper.
Does it run? If it has not been started for some time dont try using the stock fuel tank!!! Unhook the line up by the fuel pump and hook a external tank up. Maybe check and clean out the carberator.. It might have a 251 flathead in it too.. Send some pictures of under the hood.. We will help you out as much as we can.
good day all
as of the numbers on the frame... do you mean the numbers that are nocked in to the frame or on a metal frame? becase i will have to give it a good washing to be able to read the numbers it is so bad... and it is on the drivers side just above the spring mount as you said...

at this stage it looks like some parts r missing so wont even try to start it till i have every thing in place...putting up some picts from under the hood and all round so every one can have a good look ...

as muuch as understant the m37 did a desert trip of 450 KM 4 years ago and since then it has being in a shed...

i treid to turn the engine but it is very hard ...

maddawg308 wrote:
Some start out worse than yours. I see black out lights, drivers spare tire carrier, can't quite see if the tailgate is present. Can you paint them green in Israel, or are there laws against representing MV's? Looks like rust is not a problem over there which is a plus. More like the sun baked the paint. What a find...If it could only talk...oh the stories.

the funny thing about thie M37 is that it was sold from us about 25 years ago... if you look at my web siteyou can see we bye a lot of stuff from the army and nato U.N. so now i got it back... nice...
i will get a ambulance too next month so i will have my hands full of work for the next year or so...lmao

rosco wrote:
What to do first? Air up the tire & take it to the car wash. Get some of those tyvek disposable coveralls, take everything out of her, and give her a good wash, inside & out. Especially the mud on the underside & caked on grease. Some of that paint might even come off. Clean stuff, is a lot nicer to work on.

Great find! Those are neat tires too.

Lee in Alaska

you are talking to the car wash...lol...under the blue paint it is a army light green... looks like the high presure water cleaner will get off most of the blue ...

maddawg308 wrote:
Those tires look German to me - I have seen the same tread pattern on original WWII German equipment, and on Unimogs as well....

maddawg em tires are israeli made under the make of ALLIANCE, most of the army tires are ...

citizensoldier wrote:
The tires are a Euro, Nato, UN tread tire.. You see them allot on foriegn vehicles.. That could be a B1 but some of the early radio trucks M42's had the spare moved to the door to make room for radio equipement.. This was part of the M42 change order.. If its a B1 it should have the NP420 trans and the new style dash lights in the guage panel.. I can tell if he gets me the numbers off of it.. I know the Isrealis put 251's in most of there trucks and even diesels in some. That could be a airforce paint color.. Its in good shape.. Also the Canadians were big in the UN and something like 80% of there vehicles spent time overseas.. like the Siani penninsula. Not sure how to spell that.. sorry. My Canadian truck has UN white over one green and under another green.. I am very curiouse to know what it is...

how can i tell what trans is on her body???

m376x6
Clearly not Canadien. Not a modified truck. She will be between 1957 and 1968 in vintage. The serial number will most likely NOT be on the drivers side but on the frame rail above the front axle on the passenger side not as on the drivers side as it is for 1951 through 1955 trucks. The serial number on the glove box door should match the number on the frame, at least the last several digits. Posting those numbers is a real quick way to determine the year of manufacture for folks with the Zenthmeyer production book. Best of luck with her, they can be quite a long time hobby and very enjoyable over the years.

Regards,
Bryan

as for the glove box number... were will i find it???

CGarbee
The big difference in beds is in the troop seat hardware. Since the B1 trucks had the spare tire mounted over the driver's door, the the troop seats are full length on both sides of the bed. The slide for the troop seat brace on the passenger side is all the way forward (matching the placement of the one on the driver's side) and there are no weldnuts in place on the front pannel for the jumpseat, nor provisions for mounting the in-bed spare tire support.

a few bed pictures to to try and help ...

thanks again for all the help

shaul

Attachments

CGarbee

RE: Re: RE: M37 - new here hiya ... need some advise please

Real quick (I've got to go meet a client in a couple of minutes), I can see that you have a B1 instrument panel (can tell by the dash lights), the glovebox door has an interesting latch on it and I can't tell if the dateplates are still attached to it or not (if so, they are painted over) making it hard to say if you could pull the numbers off of them, I see in the photo showing the steering gear a rectangular band of rust on the outside of the frame rail right (photo 5) that is where the numbers stanped in the frame are located so please post them (may have to wire brush the spot again to get the numbers to become visable). Nice tailgate, missing the tool rack, but otherwise looking good. I see B1 style tailights (extra light added to the right side for blackout when the main light is replaced with one identicle to that on the left (driver) side so that the truck has twin tail/stop lights. Looks like a civilian style carb on the engine and an electric fuel pump on fender (also see the stock pump mounted on the engine). Also looks like somebody changed the engine electrical setup around at one point (or at least, it's not got the US standard waterproof distributor stup on it...)

Thanks for posting.

citizensoldier

RE: Re: RE: M37 - new here hiya ... need some advise please

Wow! She is a keeper but will need some loving.. One way to tell the difference in the transmission is to drive it.. The NP 420 is fully syncro 2nd through 4th,.. The outward appearance is different but easier to tell when sitting side by side.. The old style has a large bolt on bearing keeper mounted to the back of the trans.. Kind of tear drop shaped. I think you have a B1 truck after hearing about the bed differences and the type of lights in the dash panel. The serial numbers should be stamped on the outside frame rail just in front of the drivers side front spring mount. Or? from what the other guys say if its a B1 it could be on the other side. You will probably have to scape and wash off some paint to see them. Or clean it up and use the old paper and lead pencil trick if you cant make them out.
Can you measure the length of the motor head for me? This will tell what flathead it is.. It looks long to me but it could just be the pictures.. Something funny going on with the waterpump tube? I think it has a 12 volt ignition and it has a civi carburator... Is there any Data Plates on the outside of the glovebox door?