• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 question about the bumper

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking around for a m37 and i had a question about the bumber i know there a m37 model and a M37B1 model. However when I'm coming across the pictures there are trucks with the bumpers that look as if au bolt has been welded to it. At first I figured that it was something somebody welded on it after the service; on however as I come across more pictures I see that it is done on more then 1 truck. What was these for?

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will never understand how someone would weld these U-bolts (paperclips) on a winch truck and use them as lifting points, instead of the original bumper shackles.:?

With the front probably weighing 4000 pounds the only thing really that prevents the bumper ends from rotating upwards and thereby twisting both frame (extensions) is the winch itself, via that pair of small brackets. And I'm sure the winch wasn't meant to see that kind of load.

G.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those added shackle / tie down points were most commonly used when transporting these trucks by boat (ship) which the Maine Corps did fairly often (especially in VN). The standard shackles are fine for fore and aft tie downs but not so good for lateral tie downs. You will notice that the Marine Corps tie downs are placed outboard of the frame rails especially on the rear of the truck) to better stabilize the truck against lateral forces (a ship's roll).

I'll try to find the pics I have of these trucks lashed to the deck of a ship.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there anything else added to these truck? I have read about the under coating, but what about differential lockers? Did they come with the deep fording kit.

I have been trying to research this but there is not a hole lot of information for USMC M37.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks were designed in the late '40s and first produced in 1951 (i believe). I don't think lockers existed at that time. I have never seen or heard of the military having or installing lockers on these trucks. It is a civilian modification that is available now, but it was never part of the military supply chain.

I know for a fact that they are not part of the fording kit.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Within the limitations of what the little truck was designed to do, it is a VERY capable off road vehicle. Unless you are into some extreme off roading there is no need for the lockers.

GUNNY 155

The USMC did undercoat their trucks since they were around salt water a lot. I did get a pair of USMC front fenders for mine when making it into a USMC version. The fenders I got still wore only USMC paint and were undercoated, and guess what the bonus was, no rust holes around the head light mounts. BTW, Hello Storm hope your doing well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks