• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 repower with 250 straight six chevy

desert demon

The old 230 needs rebuilt.Got a 250 chevy straight six really cheap.I was wondering if there is an adapter plate to use the origanal transmission with this motor and what would be the best raidiator to use and the best way to do motor mounts?

Attachments

GUNNY 155

The old Chevy 6 is a great engine. Back in the day I rebuilt quite a few and worked on a lot of them. The M37 radiator should be fine cooling capacity wise. Make sure you retain the fan shroud and pay attention to the distance the fan is from the radiator. You may need to make a spacer to go between the water pump and the fan blade. Motor mount will be hand fabricated. As far as an adapter plate my guess would be hand fabricated too. Good luck.

Kasper31

You might like to use the Chev. SM-465 4 speed tranny with the "granny' low first gear that will bolt to the Chev. engine with its normal bell housing.
You may then need to fabricate a short shaft to adapt to the Dodge transfer case. This is a really nice set up. Another thought is to use the Chev engine with the
5 speed trans that has the 5th gear that is an overdrive and that will give you much more road speed and still be able to crawl around in 1st gear.

Kasper31

Desert
I did that mod to one of my trucks several years ago. If you use the Chev. 250 or the 302 straight 6 engines it will allow you to use the
Chev. truck package and use the 5 speed 5th overdrive NV-4500 trans. you can then use the hyd. clutch assy. and the only real item you will
need to make up is the short shaft that goes between the trans and the transfer case. You could even go farther and get one of the NV-4500's
that has the mating transfer case., however I liked the divorced trans n transfer set up, it makes for easier repairs in the future and if you get
a rear axle out of a WC Dodge then you could go to the 205 transfer case that is quieter and all the gear boxes are in line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks