• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 repower with Isuzu 4BD2

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am finally starting my repower. I intend to install the Isuzu 4BD2 with an Isuzu 5 sp manual trans., Snake river 4X4 power steering and front disc brakes (probably from Helitool). I am starting a photo album of this project on Google Picasa 3. I am making this invite only (as opposed to posting for all on the WWW). If you PM me, I will send you an invite and you can access the album. Thanks
Doug

Attachments

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! Looks like a real clean truck that you are starting with. Will you be using a PTO drive for the winch or switching to hydraulic?
Chad

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have specified that if you want to see the pictures, you will have to PM me your email address and I will email you the invite to see the pictures.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand why you don't upload the pictures here? nopics

10 years from now I may want to do exactly what your doing, and I won't be able to get in touch with you for whatever reason to get an 'invite'

Also, I cannot go to any of the filesharing photo album etch websites on my government computer.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37 Moose rebuild and repower

It has been awhile since I have posted anything on this rebuild! Lot's of family issues and other things going on, so the project sat for a while. I have put a few new pictures in my M37 Moose album on my SS profile. I could not get it to post the short video of the turbo diesel, first test run. I will try to attach that here. I have the fuel tank cleaned and reinstalled. The new front disc brakes and power steering gear is installed. The engine/trans is bolted into it's mounts. I have fuel lines run and brake lines run up to the bottom of the cab. Drivelines are in, axles and suspension is all rebuilt. With the engine succesfully test run, I will finish the radiator mounts, aftercooler mounts, hose routing, etc. I am drafting the wiring harness specs. Next I will get the cab tub in place and work on brake, shifting, clutch and other linkages then steering column and other cab related goodies.

Attachments

nattieleather

Cool video....just one qustion. Are you wearing antigravity boots or was the camera guy standing on his head? The video when I played it was upside down. I had to turn my monitor over to see what was going on.

Dodge man

Doug,

That looks like a worthwhile project! I'm definitely interested and I'd like to see what problems yu run into and how you deal with them. What are the engine and tranny out of and what year are they? Are you changing the diffy gears in the M37 or staying with the 5.89s?

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Nattieleather, sorry but when I click on the attached video, it is "right side up". I don't know what to say? Dodge Man, I would be happy to talk with you about the issues found in this repower. i hope to put together a complete report when I get done. The engine and 5 sp. manual are out of a 1993 Isuzu NPR box truck. I also took all the brackets, mounts, cables, brake and clutch master cylinders, etc. from the donor truck, before I sold the box and chassis for scrap. I am using a power steering mod from Snake River 4X4 and front disc brakes from Helitool. I hope to use the dual circuit master cyl and vacuum booster from the NPR. I rebuilt the differentials with the 4.8? ones. The Isuzu 5 speed is not an overdrive unit (unfortunately). I had to get the drive shaft between the trans and transfer shortened by about an inch and changed the yoke into the transfer. That was to match the yoke from Isuzu to the spline shaft on the Dodge transfer case while keeping the short shaft, well short enough! That kept the transfer mounted in the stock position. I had the springs rebuilt and had them add another leaf to the front springs to handle the extra engine weight. They were supposed to give me a 2" lift by rearching the front springs, this to help clear the Isuzu oil pan. I am not sure that they did that. From the stance, it looks like maybe they gave me 2" in the rear springs, as it seems high to me. Anyhow, time will tell what I have to do there. I think Cabell Garbee (on the east coast) used a 2" spacer block on the front axle. Anyhow, I am getting ready to install the cab tub to see how that fits relative to the engine, trans, etc. and begin fabbing up brake linkage, clutch hydraulic master cyl. and line to slave cyl., transfer case and parking brake shift levers, pedals, steering shaft and so forth. Then I have to build and install the wire harness. Lots left to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks