• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m37 steering

jdimezza

Can any one advise how to loosen up the steering on a recently purchased restored to original condition M37. I am happy as a clam with it but cannot steer the brute. tried and sprained a wrist. can any one suggest how to loosen up the steering ? ?

jdimezza

m715

What do you mean (loosen up) ? Does the steering wheel turn but hard? I think when you say recently restored to original m37 you must mean the steering is harder than anything you have driven. If you sprained a wrist trying to turn a m37 huge steering wheel, I suggest you join a gym or buy a Toyota.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. PLEASE dont buy a toyota. I would disconnect the drag link and see if it's the steering box binding or the axle king pin bearings. Then whichever will need disassembly and lubrication. Should steer fairly easily.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would disconnect the linkage from the steering gear and see if it operates smoothly. Could be the gear shaft assembly.

jdimezza

Thank you all for the suggestions, except the one suggestion to buy a toyota. I buy American. I will try the other suggestions and see how it works

just me

I had an issue where mine was getting harder to steer and then got to where I couldn't park it due to stiffness. I dismantled EVERYTHING and inspected it all. Found nothing worn or out of spec, just old caked up grease. Cleaned it all, put it back together and lubed it and it is back to normal steering. (Don't forget to drain and refill the steering gearbox during this. I did have to reseal the bottom after the first oil change as fresh new oil tended to flow out a lot easier than the black tar that was in it when I got it.)

nattieleather

Recently restored could mean a lot of different things. I could mean the previous owner thew a fresh coat of paint on it and said "it's restored" or they may have taken everything apart and rebuilt everything from the ground up. Both are considered "restored". From your description it sounds to me that your truck may be the former and not the latter and therefore needs some servicing to make it easier to steer. Follow the suggestions above and good luck with your new ride. Oh and post some pics of it. We love pictures... :)