• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Thermostat?

Rich Johnson

What temp should I use?

Im in San Diego, but it does get hot out here especially when cruising the mountains and desert, grades combined with 100deg outdoor temps is common in summer.

My truck has been sitting for about 6 years, 3 or 4 with the coolant system open and getting crusty....

I think it was a 160 I had in it but that seems too low, once the engine warms up the T stat will open and stay open and not cycle closed, allowing the coolant to cool down in the radiator RIGHT?

I put in a 180 and my buddy swears I screwed the pooch on this, that I have to use a 160 to keep the engine cooler.

Can somebody set me straight?

Bill W

That debate can go on forever, I've had alway run a 160° but the best reason I've heard ( but don't nessassarly agree with ) about running a 180° is that at that temp you'll burn off more acids and such that build up in the oil from lack of use. I believe that running a 160° under the hood means cooler running and less chance of vapor lock...

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is that the engine is happiest at 180 degrees. If you are operating in conditions where that temperature is likely to be consistently exceeded, then you need a cooler thermostat.

Driving in California, especially in the deserts and on mountain grades, a cooler thermostat would probably be the better choice.

In short, it all depends on the conditions in your AO and the way you operate your truck.

Storm 51

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your cooling system is clean & functioning properly, the truck will run adequately & stay cool, regardless of the temperature of the thermostat setting. Even when your running a 205* thermostat!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cooling system is so large in comparison to the engine, the thermostat will cycle, even with a 180º. Get a laser temp gun, and check the temp at the top and bottom. You should see at least a 30º change in temp.

BrutusM37

I run a 180 in SE Virginia with no issues. I had some vapor locking problems this past summer but that was due to the previous owner mounting an inline fuel filter in between the pump and carb (?) and the fuel lines were rubbing on a coolant line. Relocated the filter to the frame rail under the bed and made a new hard line between pump/carb that hooked away from anything hot. No problems since.

GUNNY 155

I am running a 180 degree thermostat. I am in the Chicago area and we have hot summers with some days in the high 90's If all parts of your cooling system are up to spec you should have no problems even on a summer day doing a parade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks