• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 tool question

tedtsr54

Hello all
I'm new here and thx for having me
Brought my first M37 home yesterday and getting ready to start work
My question is.....
anyone know the size of the nut/bolt head size on the front
of the crank pulley?
I'd like to bar it over to check it and I dont wanna booger it
up in case I do a rebuild later Looks like 1 3/4 to me
but dont see as good as i used to

Thx all!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all
My question is.....
of the crank pulley?

Thx all!
Honestly it's just as easy to turn over by hand. Here's a video I made after I pulled my head to check my valves to see which ones are stuck.

You should be able to take the fan and spin it in a clockwise direction as you're facing the vehicle.

If it won't spin, odds are you have a piston frozen. Put a healthy amount of Marvel Mystery oil in the plug holes and let it sit for a couple of days and it should free up.

tedtsr54

Honestly it's just as easy to turn over by hand. Here's a video I made after I pulled my head to check my valves to see which ones are stuck.

You should be able to take the fan and spin it in a clockwise direction as you're facing the vehicle.

If it won't spin, odds are you have a piston frozen. Put a healthy amount of Marvel Mystery oil in the plug holes and let it sit for a couple of days and it should free up.
ya gotta remove plugs...they're soaking....dont wanna break them off.....shroud and fan are off....I'll replace and give a spin....thx

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all
My question is.....
of the crank pulley?

Thx all!
Welcome to the Outfit! I see that you got a response from @kendelrio as he is working to rebuild his M37. Heck of a nice guy and always more than willing to help.

Another thing you can find here are the TM's (Technical Manuals) for your truck. They are a great source for troubleshooting and are freely available. Link below:

Post up a few pictures of your New-To-You truck too!
We all love seeing new green iron - running or not.
Again, welcome to the group

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
hi guys thx....tried to download one of the manuals. twice...didn't get it
PC, Mac, or Mac phone or Android Phone download?

Some of the links here forward you to a GoogleDocs site in some cases.
Don't hesitate to copy paste a link that you are trying to download - and we will go test. I personally clicked on several in the post I did earlier and they worked. Willing to help for sure . . .

tedtsr54

hi folks...well she does'nt turn over by hand.....next step is socket and breaker bar......also....if anyone is looking for vintage top rad hose.....i found mine at summit racing pt # dac81411.....flexible 2 in

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hi folks...well she does'nt turn over by hand.....next step is socket and breaker bar......also....if anyone is looking for vintage top rad hose.....i found mine at summit racing pt # dac81411.....flexible 2 in
Before you breaker bar it, personally I would drop some mystery oil in the plug holes and let it sit. Force is a good way to score your cylinders etc.

tedtsr54

Do it again...
It's been sitting for a long time.

No need to hurry it now.

I know. We all want the new toy to work RIGHT NOW, but pushing or rushing it now might cost more than some more penetrating oil or Marvel Mystery Oil.
lol...no worries...no hurry...too cold out anyway...just want to know where i stand...thx

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an inspection panel on the passenger side that will let you see when the valve should go down. If they're frozen in the down position, that could be the cause of the stick. If so, pull the head and using either Marvel or transmission fluid, soak the valves.

The panel releases with two wing bolts.

20221027_153919.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks