• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 transfer case

Redpawn

I have a few of the NP200 transfer cases that come out of the M37 trucks that we use to build mud trucks and last week when I was a my friends picking some up he had some other cases that looked a lot like the NP 200 but they did not come with ebrakes on them.He said they where some thing like a NP201 has any one ever heard of them? He told me there not as strong as the NP200 but if your going to be driving ot the street they do better.I know a few people that have a lot of trouble with the NP200 over heating in big trucks when they drive them on the road for any time.

M37Dodge

NP201 is just like the NP200 except no e-brake oputput. It still has the offset rear output. Most parts interchange between the 2 models. My NP 200 rebuild kit came in a NP201 box - was missing a few bearings, but otherwise was fine. The NP201 was common on 1950's dodge 4x4s - but not power wagons.

Redpawn

Thanks for the info.Is there any diffrence in the gears or the way there cut?
I know the np200 makes noise thanks to the strait cut gears but is the np201
the same?

shawn085

Do any of you have parts? I am looking for the input shaft and the fron axle output shaft.
P.S. Mine is rigt here apart, and it has helical cut gears.

ucfjeeper

The front input shaft and front output shaft should be able to be swapped with those of a divorced NP205. They're basically sister cases. The rear inline output should be able to swap as well - the main difference is the offset rear output - the np205 has a cover where the 200 has the extra shaft.

Redpawn

All right then.That was just the stuff I was told.Thank you for all the info.
Shawn Are you still looking for an output shaft?I have some N.O.S. output
shafts for sale along with a few np200 take outs.

M37Dodge

Do any of you have parts? I am looking for the input shaft and the fron axle output shaft.
The front input shaft is unavail. 10/2008 I ordered one from VPW - they called back to say their stock was too rust damaged to sell. I tried the usual M37 MV dealers w/o success getting the shaft. Normally this part does not wear out unless it got rusty from water in the oil.

Being you need 2 shafts - just get another t/c, change its seals, and install it. Setting the idler gear bearing pre-load is a PIA without the proper alignment tool - I chewed up the original shims and had to make up replacments. BTW: the NP200 internals are normally in great shape. Not a bad time to swap in a NP205 in case you are going w/ a centered rear:)

This is coming from a guy who rebuilt his NP200 t/c in Oct. (Rust damaged bearings throughout - gears were fine shape.)

Last edited:

M37Dodge

Check Jeeps for a t/c . . .

In case the fellow offering the t/c is not local, the M715 Jeeps used our NP200 - with different yokes. You can swap in a Jeep NP200 and just use your yokes with it. This may help you find a local used t/c easier and avoid big shipping costs. Good luck.

muddmutt

I have a few of the NP200 transfer cases that come out of the M37 trucks that we use to build mud trucks and last week when I was a my friends picking some up he had some other cases that looked a lot like the NP 200 but they did not come with ebrakes on them.He said they where some thing like a NP201 has any one ever heard of them? He told me there not as strong as the NP200 but if your going to be driving ot the street they do better.I know a few people that have a lot of trouble with the NP200 over heating in big trucks when they drive them on the road for any time.
do you happen to have any for sale ??? np 2oo i'm in edgewater fl. thanks

jwarner

Anybody have a lower rear output shaft? or I would buy a complete case and pay any shipping? I am in Michigan. I will drive also.......Thanks...Jarrod

Cav Trooper

I just tore down my np200 transfer case and found pitted bearings. Anyone know where to get the shaft and gear with the straight roller bearing races in them. The races are pitted, not bad but pitting ain't good. I am tempted to put them back in and just replace the tapered and roller bearings but, that may be tempting fate and since it's apart, do it right the first time. Where's best place the get the bearing sets?? Is the park brake flange different from the other output flanges? I haven't seen any for sale, so I guess a ready sleeve and seal may be in order.

Thanks,

CT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks