• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Update

WarrenD

M37 Update 7 Weeks In

It's been just 24 days since I recovered my M37 and thought it was time for a progress report. In no particular order:
Install keyed battery disconnect switch
Re-cover passenger seat
Change gear lube in axles, transfer case and transmission
Install new axle vents
Replace rear pinion seal
Re-paint bridge plate
Re-paint right side hood, bed sides, front bumper
Arrest rust, patch holes prime and paint cowl
Install new fuel gauge
install yellow headlights
Paint yellow stripe on nose
Insure, vin verify and register
Install new tailgate chain covers

Avatar is how it look when recovered, pic below is from today

Attachments

Last edited:

WarrenD

Thanks Mike. I still have to replace the u-joints (found them sticking when I did the pinion seal), re-cover the driver's seat (after I find a new back) replace the radiator and more painting. Sadly, I'm running out of good weather for the painting, so I don't think that will be done until next year. I'm trying to keep most of the markings on it for the Veteran's Day Parade in 5 weeks. Oh, can't forget I need 4 new tires, and a transfer case seal...and....

WarrenD

Yep, I need to get the truck squared away first, but I'm planning on doing the armor over the winter and hopefully everything will come together for next spring.

WarrenD

Since the last report, I've replaced the bent rear driveshaft, u-joints and rear T-case seal. Also replaced the radiator, hoses and fan belt. Most of the body paint is done, just some small parts and the window frames to go, likely for next year. Paint was all by rattle can, 3 cases so far. Decals are in, just waiting for the paint to set up for a few weeks before I start rubbing on it.
Yes, I know you want pics, so here they are:

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

October 28th, 2011.

Oilleaker 1:

Yellow stripe on forward endge of hood and yellow tinted headlights....8th Tn Grp, Vietnam War, so the CO could identify his trucks in convoys day or night!

:driver:

Oilleaker1

Thanks for the yellow nose info.. I missed being in the draft by 3 months . I was # 14 but the draft ended. Didn't really understand what it meant at the time, but at least I'm still here to ask. I admire the close feelings veterans have that served together. The yellow nose unit thing reminds me much of aircraft unit markings. Those bright colors usually mean don't screw with us or we will give it to you! With a M37, you can't run anyway, they are too slow, might as well stay and fight. Any gun truck M37 pictures? My Deuce had links and 50's down in the vent cowl with the cab re-inforcement rivited in. Stories could be told with that huh? Thanks for your service! John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks