• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 vs M37B1

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We might be getting in the weeds a bit with this one. I haven't been able to find a definitive comprehensive list of differences between the base original M37 and the B1 variant, so I thought I'd "crowdsource" the information.

I have found that Dodge shifted to B1 production in April, 1958. My truck (delivery date October 19, 1958--please see attached data plate photo) is apparently an early B1. Note the hand stamped "B1" after M 37.

Some evidence exists that (logically) Dodge elected (and perhaps in coordination with the Army) to run out existing parts inventory while keeping the production line going. In addition to the hand-stamped B1 addition on my data plate, I say this because one source indicates the B1s used Douglas connectors while mine are still the Packard metal shells.

Also, the tool box doors on my truck are crudely modified with a torch cut to add the staple for locking. Perhaps this was done to comply with military specs until the factory retooled.

Here's what I (think) know:

M37B1:

Relocation of spare to the driver door.
Addition of front and back leaf spring spacers to account for weight of relocated spare [levels the frame].
Addition of staple and hole in tool box doors to enable padlocking.
Synchronized transmission.
Fixed pintle hook.

Here's what I'm unsure of:

Packard vs Douglas electrical connectors

Are there other differences? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

John Mc

3rd and 4th gear were synchronized in the original M37 transmission. So if you started out in 2nd gear, you could shift right up without doing anything special.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the correction, Rory.

Yes:

Metal shell wire connectors are Douglas.
Rubber are Packards.

Things are confusing enough sometimes in this hobby without some careless post like mine making things worse. :censored:

John Mc

I remember which is which because both the names and the materials used are in chronological and alphabetical order:

Early M37 .. Later M37
Douglas .... Packard
metal ...... rubber

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good mnemonic device. Thank you.

My B1 mystery deepens in that my truck has (had) the Douglas connectors. I'm replacing with a new harness with Douglas. So, it seems that at least some early B1s were hybrids until early parts inventory was exhausted.

Does anyone have information on that front?

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some other differences but unsure whether just production changes or formally part of the B1 variant:

Later models have a more rounded two part air cleaner; the older version has a 3 part system using 3 clamps with wing nuts to hold down the cover rather than a single nut in the center of the cover.

Is there a difference with the transmission shift lever? The transmissions that I've seen on the B1 have a longer lever.

Early M37 models have a fuel filter cup mounted to the voltage regulator bracket; later models have an in-tank filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks