• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 with S-89 shelter, Restored Shelter

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, here are some photos of the inside of the shelter.. the outside is awaiting paint just like the truck, but the inside is done!

View attachment 335937
Empty Interior, just a big ol' box

View attachment 335938
Table setup in the front

View attachment 335939
Table set to the side

View attachment 335940
planks installed for the bed.

View attachment 335941
made up bed

View attachment 335942
Custom radio mount, this is custom designed to mount to the existing rails, so no extra holes. I put some narrow strut mounting for conduit, then attached the shelf to that so it can be adjusted.

The dimensions are designed around the radio mounting boxes, which are 22MM ammo boxes, with the lids removed. I mount radios in these, so the lids can be re-attached and they are very protected.

To attach the boxes to the shelf i use a long threaded rod pushed up through the bottom of the shelf, through the hinge holes, and bolted top and bottom.. they are very secure.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Nice job! Did you do all that woodwork (cabinetry)? That thing is absolutely beautiful!

I hope you'll post pics when you've got all the radios in. What doeas the outside look like? Do you have pictures of the whole truck and S-89?

BTW, do you happen to know where anymore S-89's might be lurking? Any you know of looking for a new home?

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Nice job! Did you do all that woodwork (cabinetry)? That thing is absolutely beautiful!
yes i did, this particular one was a 400khz aircraft beacon so it had wood in it, which was trashed. I replaced it with new paneling, raw wood OUT, then polyurethaned them.

one really interesting thing, the width is 54", and 71" long, they cut SOLID pieces of wood to go in this, since this is larger than the standard 48" wood size, i had to get creative. It must be nice to just have custom plywood made, must have been expensive.

I hope you'll post pics when you've got all the radios in. What doeas the outside look like? Do you have pictures of the whole truck and S-89?
Im not putting the military radios back in, the last picture shows the radios that are in it, and by removing and replacing the 22MM boxes i can reconfigure this easy.

View attachment 335984
The day i picked it up.
View attachment 335985View attachment 335986
A couple internal photos before i took it apart.

BTW, do you happen to know where anymore S-89's might be lurking? Any you know of looking for a new home?
Ive seen them around, but they are rare, and usually costly.

btw this one is quite rare, ive only seen one other on the net or in person.. its an s-89 with TWO windows on each side, usually there is only one window on each side..

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes i did, this particular one was a 400khz aircraft beacon so it had wood in it, which was trashed. I replaced it with new paneling, raw wood OUT, then polyurethaned them.

one really interesting thing, the width is 54", and 71" long, they cut SOLID pieces of wood to go in this, since this is larger than the standard 48" wood size, i had to get creative. It must be nice to just have custom plywood made, must have been expensive.

Im not putting the military radios back in, the last picture shows the radios that are in it, and by removing and replacing the 22MM boxes i can reconfigure this easy.

View attachment 335984
The day i picked it up.
View attachment 335985View attachment 335986
A couple internal photos before i took it apart.

Ive seen them around, but they are rare, and usually costly.

btw this one is quite rare, ive only seen one other on the net or in person.. its an s-89 with TWO windows on each side, usually there is only one window on each side..

Well, you certainly did a beautiful job on the interior of that shelter.

Congratulations! :beer:

If you do stumble across another S-89 shelter could you please PM me? Out here on the west coast they simply don't exist. I'd really love to have one (it would have a good home).

Thanks, and congratulations again!

Storm 51

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! I plan to put my Icom 706 and LDG tuner in an ammo box. It will make it easier to move them between the van and the deuce.
These 22mm ammo boxes are a dream! They are light Watertight and radios mount in them perfectly. I have over 10 ov them, you can get them cheap b/c no one really knows what to do with them.

What I have done for years is to drive out the Ning rod, them mount different radios in them. I have one that is all gel cells, one that is a patch power "module" I use ands on power poles to connect them. I stack them up however high, and use plain metal rod (not threaded, just plain like from home depot) pushed down the hinge holes to secure them. They are in my shack like this. Then when it's time to boondocks or field day, I unstack, put the lids back on and i'm off, no worries about beating up the radios.

I flew with my ft900 all over japan, with a switching power supply and a wire in one, and the radio in another in carryon luggage!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a S-144 which is also for a M37. The S-89 was steel and the S-144 was aluminum (and no windows). The door also opened with the hinge on the right instead of the left.

I can send pictures of the S-144 but a far better source for S-142 & S-144 photos is Ron Boltz at rattrig.com

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a S-144 which is also for a M37. The S-89 was steel and the S-144 was aluminum (and no windows). The door also opened with the hinge on the right instead of the left.

I can send pictures of the S-144 but a far better source for S-142 & S-144 photos is Ron Boltz at rattrig.com
I'm looking for info on one like pictured below. It's aluminum but only 48" tall. Hinges are also on the right. I emailed Ron. Maybe he can send me in the right direction.

image.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks