• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37b1

combat32

I was looking at a truck today that I am thinkin about buying and was surprised to see the delivery date on the dataplate of 1-65.I didn't know they were makin them that late, looks like an ex-USMC truck as it has paperclips on the front bumper, showin 4995 on the odo, wonder if that is accurate? Pretty nice lookin truck has troop seats bows tailgate heater and BII rack.Also had spare carrier in the bed I thought all B1's had door mounted spares? It doesn't look like it ever had one mounted there.

AMGeneral

Unless my memory fails me,M37B1s were produced through 1968.

As for the spare tire carrier,a B1 should have the drivers side mounted spare,look inside the cab just in front of the drivers door for a reinforcment plate there,the holes could have been covered over.

for the bed mounted spare,it's possible the bed could have been swapped with a earlier bed.

Tanner

I have my neighbor now involved and looking for an M37 around $2500 and not hacked up.
There are still quite a few of them out there, but I tend to see the earlier non-B1 trucks for sale more often...

My M37B1 was pulled from a 25+ year storage in a barn in South Carolina -

'Tanner'

WarrenD

Yes, M37s were built as B1s into 1968. Lots of them in the Nam era had the spare moved back to the bed in the field.

combat32

I am more familiar with the 50's era M37's and now two B1's have popped up close to me, thanks for the info.I did look for the reinforcement plate, looks like it never had a side spare carrier.Somebody talk me into buying this truck:beer:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say, buy it. I have a 51 with 4.89 gears and I think it's the best, around town , truck I ever owned. Puts a smile on my face, just looking at it.

vtdeucedriver

There are still quite a few of them out there, but I tend to see the earlier non-B1 trucks for sale more often...

'Tanner'
Because your 60's ones were going to RVN and the ones that stayed here have been rotting away alot faster than your 50's produced trucks because of the poor quality of the steel when MFG.

Tanner

Because your 60's ones were going to RVN and the ones that stayed here have been rotting away alot faster than your 50's produced trucks because of the poor quality of the steel when MFG.
I've heard that the tale of inferior steel is an urban legend... anyone have real documented proof of this? :popcorn:

'Tanner'

M-37Bruce

I've Heard It Too

I've heard that the tale of inferior steel is an urban legend... anyone have real documented proof of this? :popcorn:

'Tanner'
I was told that it is just that, a "urban legend" but there seems to an inordinate amount of early dates, relatively rust free & later models, ie; B-1's looking like Swiss cheese?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I have heard from other car enthusiasts, ALL American steel used in cars changed in 1958. Something happened, different metallurgy from what I was told. Some folks told me that mid-1950s cars are everywhere, but starting in late fifties they are really rusted out. I don't know if that's true, but I've heard it in too many places to dismiss it.

Buy it even if it's a B1 - I had a M37B1 from 1958 and it was a solid truck. All M37s are great trucks, you'll enjoy driving it around....

Tanner

It could have been a plated steel vs non-plated steel, or a different alloying of the steels used between the M37 & M37B1 variants, but has ANYONE actually taken the time to have a metal composition analysis done?

Not that I'm aware of -

Buy it... fix it... drive it!

'Tanner'

combat32

I have heard that rumor as well, doesn't concern me.This one looks relatively rust free besides the usual patch or two of surface rust.I have owned 3 m37's in the past and really love them, I am gonna go talk to the guy and see if we can work a deal.

Tanner

I have 63 B1 that is getting 6.5 turbo and new axles ect.. it in good shape body wise... no axle shafts in the rear and the head in in the
Share pics on that turbo 6.5 install; I'm curious to know if the sidemount turbo clears the passenger side inner fender. :)

I'm getting back into my M37 project here soon & working on the 6.X engine mount now -

'Tanner'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks