• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 ?'s for a potential new owner

puppy

I am looking to scratch the itch for a Willys jeep that I have had for years. I first thought a CJ-2A was about the only option b/c that is all I had ever known. My research led me to the CJ-3A option and then to the M38 that I think is the one.

1. Is there enough diffenence to matter?
2. Is the M38 more valueable than the civvy 3A?
3. What is the going rate for a running/driving M38?
4. Why is the M38A1 so much more popular in this forum?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

dependable

Flat fender jeeps were my first automotive obsession. Been a while, so forgive me I'm wrong about something: The Willys MB to M38 A 1, and the civilian CJ 2 and 3A & 3B are going to be a similar driving experience, In fact you can add the Kaiser CJ 5 up to 1969 to the list. All had 134 cubic inch long stroked 4 cyl engines. 1946 and newer had timing gears. All but the MB (&GPW, The rare Ford made MB) had a T-90 tranny and similar running gear ect. WW 2 jeeps had a t-84 transmission that shift a little nicer but are less durable. There were gear ratio changes, I believe down after 1945. The CJ 3B, a tall hooded flat fender, and the curved hooded M 38A1 and CJ5s had a F head engine, same block as later flat heads, but with overhead intake valves and intake manifold in head. The F Heads had somewhat better performance. Military versions are always worth more. 'Going rate' is going to vary a lot, like any vehicle, from farm drivers, to carefully restored specimens. I just got into an old jeep (the GPW I posted about yesterday) for the first time in 20 some years. I forgot how tight a fit they are behind the wheel if you're over 6 ft. Guess I did not mind when I was younger.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am looking to scratch the itch for a Willys jeep that I have had for years. I first thought a CJ-2A was about the only option b/c that is all I had ever known. My research led me to the CJ-3A option and then to the M38 that I think is the one.

1. Is there enough diffenence to matter?
2. Is the M38 more valueable than the civvy 3A?
3. What is the going rate for a running/driving M38?
4. Why is the M38A1 so much more popular in this forum?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
JP
1. I guess it depends-are you hung up on having a military Jeep, or just a certain look or appearance? I am more of an MV guy than a Jeep guy, so I'd want an M38 or an M38A1.
2. I don't know. I don't follow the civvy units enough to have an idea.
3. I've seen some real atrocious disasters that still managed to propel themselves around the block for a grand or so. I'd say for something that isn't a total POS, has a majority of it's original stuff and run, you can figure $3Kish, give or take.
4. I don't know that its more popular, but it is more common. I think it's an age/production #s issue but I could be wrong.