• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 vs. CJ5 - 1967

liljohn

Hey all,

I see this folder isn't too active, so I hope someone sees this. I'm in the process of purchasing a 1967 CJ5 for a restoration project. It's in good running order with a good frame, and I'm getting it for a pretty good price, but the body is pretty well shot. Some parts are salvagable, doors (though I'll probably sell them anyway), windshield frame, hood, front fenders, etc. but the main tub is shot.

My question is this: does anyone know how close the M38 and CJ5 are at this point? Could I get an M38 body kit for this thing? Can a CJ5 body be close enough? Obviously this ISN'T an MV, but I'd like to make it look like such just for the heck of it, because lets face it, I like green stuff! ;)

liljohn

M38A1. I should have been more specific. Anywho, I think so, too. The gauge setup is very different, but other than that they appear very similar. The real kicker will be if the body mounts are in the right spots.

I think I'm gonna track down some tub shops and see what they say. It'll be a while before I'm to that point anyway, so I've got plenty of time to figure it out!

Attachments

stefos

The most important diference of the body is that the frond fenders and hood of cj5 are longer than M38A1, about 2 inches I think. (I will mesure it) The rest part has the same dimentions but the fuel tank is in diferent positions. The sassis has greater diferenses so the engine and power train.
When I started building jeeps I thote that they were all the same.

liljohn

Ok, thanks Stefos!

Thinking about it more I think I'll just keep it straight-CJ5. It's cool enough as it is, I don't need to pretend it's something it's not.

Thanks all.

deuce or die

Your CJ-5 has the same length hood and front clip as an M-38A1. In 1972 the CJ-5's have hoods that are 4" longer (so they could put rambler motors in em). Does your jeep have the wicked buick 225 V-6. Those are cool motors, especially with fenderwell headers. If you wanted it to look like an M-38A1 you could just put on the military two piece windsheild and headlight buckets and it would look the part.

liljohn

Nah, it's got the 4-cyl. For now... who knows, by the time I'm finished with the rebuild/restoration I might have swapped up to the Dauntless! :) The F-134 is a good engine in its own right, though. There's some simple performance mods you can do that are supposed to make them quite capable.

Anyway, I'm gonna be keeping this one straight Civvy... but I'd love to get an M38 someday!

stefos

I didn't know that early CJ5's had the same length hood like M38 A1. My CJ5 is one of the latest. Sorry if I missleaded you. Anyway this takes us to the begining: Never think that to Jeeps are the same.

Attachments

liljohn

No worries. I actually found out from someone else in a completely unrelated discussion that there ARE differences in the M38 and CJ5 frame. I'm not sure that they would effect body mounting, but they aren't identical as I had suspected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks